You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

carolinagirl

Unregistered

Friday, August 29th 2014, 5:00pm

Toro Vision II Plus Controller Issue

Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me... Our Toro Vision II Plus Controller seems to be on the fritz. The display started flashing and the unit isn't responding to any buttons. I've tried replacing the battery. The fuse and wiring looks fine, though I'm far from an expert. The outlet it's plugged into is fine, too.

The unit is nearly a decade old. Is my only option to replace the controller altogether?

Thank you so much for reading!

irrigirl

Friday, August 29th 2014, 5:25pm

Is the display flashing the current time or flashing a different message? Flashing time indicates power loss or outage. Are there any symbols on the display? For example, a water drop with a circle around it or a plug symbol with a circle around it (the circles are "no signs")?
Make sure your rain delay is turned to 0.
If it is flashing the current time, you would need to try resetting the current time.
If you can't, put your switch at the top to OFF, take the battery out and unplug the timer.
Leave it for awhile and come back and plug in and put battery back in.
Turn your switch back to ON.
Try setting the current time.
If you can't, you can check the power with a multimeter at your two 24v screws on the circuit board. This will check if the plug in part is good. The part that plugs into your outlet can go bad. (If you don't have a multimeter you can ask a neighbor, friend, or family member for one--they are a somewhat common household tool). If you are getting less than 24 volts, your transformer could be shorting out.
Let us know how that goes.

carolinagirl

Unregistered

Friday, August 29th 2014, 5:54pm

Thanks for the response, Irri! The display is flashing 0:09. The 9 changes with flashing. You can also make out "Sun" and other numbers as it flashes. There is a blinking raindrop symbol and another symbol I can't make out beneath it.

I have tried removing the battery and leaving it unplugged, then setting it back up. The flashing continues and the system is still unresponsive, except when I hold down certain buttons, like "Hour", it says "Int", but starts flashing again the moment I release.

I will try to get a reading on the power source. Is there a way to replace just the plug if that's the problem? Thanks again!

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 30th 2014, 7:13am

Once the Vision controller starts acting up, there's not much you can do but replace it.

irrigirl

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 1:19pm

Irrigation Technical Assistance

Does the display flash 0:09 right away? It should show you SUN and 12:00am upon start up. If not, and your buttons are unresponsive, it may be time for a new timer. You can try replacing the plug and/or battery, but its probably going to save you alot of time to just replace the unit and save yourself a headache.
The plugs can be replaced if you can find them. The plug-in parts for the Vision series are different than most of Toro's timers, and are basically obsolete unless you can find them online. They have three bare wires and special specs, and it will be hard to find one specific to your timer. You can try the hardware store or Radioshack and see if they have one with three bare wires. You can find these specs in your owner's manual on the last page.
Internal transformer Models
Input Power: 120/230 Va.c., 50/60 Hz, 30VA
Output Power: 24 Va.c., 50/60 Hz, 22VA

Rate this thread