You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gravunder

Wednesday, September 3rd 2003, 4:45am

Spray Heads for flower beds.

What size spray heads to most of you use for flower beds? Are 4 inch popups sufficient or would a 6 or 12 inch popup be a better choice? Also when you use the side inlet on the larger popups are there special considerations for winterizing?

Thanks in Advance,
Greg

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 3rd 2003, 2:32pm

How tall are your shurbs going to be?

If you use the side inlet on the larger sprays (6-12") you will have to put a swing joint or funny pipe to the side ell. Then put a drain valve on the bottom inlet of the head so it drains it out everytime. If you only have drains on your heads, it would be logical to blow out the system in the winter even if there are drains on the heads. OR you could save your time by putting in drain valves, and end of the line valves on your lateral pipes so that you wouldn't have to drain the system out before winter.

Let me know how tall the shurbs are planning to be.

Alex

gravunder

Thursday, September 4th 2003, 3:58am

I haven't got that far yet. I guess as we fill the flower beds I will have to replace the 4" popups as needed. It is pretty hard to s**** out the money for 6" or 12" when the 4" popup body are so cheap. Especially when you don't have a landscaping plan yet.

Where can you get the drains you mentioned?

Do you lose pressure with the drains while the zone is turned on?

Thanks,
Greg

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 4th 2003, 3:34pm

The drains are found here: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/shop3/MiscDrains.html

What the drain does is when the valve turns on, the pressure closes a check valve type valve. So when it's under pressure, the valve is closed, when no pressure, the valve is open, hence draining the water out of your pipes. They do not drop pressure very much, if at all.

Thanks[:)]

Rate this thread