You are not logged in.

msmith14

Unregistered

Friday, April 2nd 2021, 1:27pm

Zone Won't Turn Off

The sprinklers had been leaking in the Fall so I decided to switch out the solenoids for the two zones it was affecting in the Spring. I bought the same kind and connected them the way they were connected. When I turned the water back on the 2 zones automatically turned on. The control system was on "Off" so I unplugged it to see if the sprinklers would turn off but they didn't so I had to turn the water back off in order to get the sprinklers to turn off. I tested the solenoids and the Ohms were around 25 so I'm guessing they are good and I checked the diaphragm and rinsed it but once I open the water back up those two zones just turn back on even with the controller unplugged or plugged in and off. If I try to have another zone turn on, those two zones just keep going. Any help is appreciated.

mrfixit

Friday, April 2nd 2021, 11:52pm

Do you know the make and model of the valves? Or can you post a picture of them? Go to https://imgbb.com/ Upload the pic, then cut the "BBCode full linked", paste it to your post.
Some valves can be rebuilt, some you need to replace.
Sometimes a valve wont shut off if the flow control is open all of the way.
The diaphragms could be bad even though they look ok.

msmith14

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 6th 2021, 10:22pm

Do you know the make and model of the valves? Or can you post a picture of them? Go to https://imgbb.com/ Upload the pic, then cut the "BBCode full linked", paste it to your post.
Some valves can be rebuilt, some you need to replace.
Sometimes a valve wont shut off if the flow control is open all of the way.
The diaphragms could be bad even though they look ok.
It is a Irritrol 2400s. I've replaced the diaphragms but still get the same result. I might try replacing the valve next.

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 6th 2021, 11:38pm

Ahh Jar tops.
Take the solenoid off to make sure the plungers aren't stuck open from debris or power from the controller. But you said you unplugged the controller so it's not that. Still check the plunger inside the solenoid.
While you have the solenoid off, adjust the on/off lever. Take it off, make sure the plastic solenoid seat is snug clockwise. Then put the lever back on so it's 1/2 inch or more away from the stop. Put the solenoid back on. Don't over tighten the on/off lever.
There's a flow control on top of the bonnet. It turns with a screw driver. Turn it down a bit.
With the new diaphragm. It should turn off.
If the valves are real old, the new solenoid could be a problem. Take the white retainer ring off of the bottom of the solenoid. Put the solenoid back on.
Last thing I can think of, you're trying to repair the wrong valves.
I'm assuming that you checked for debris when you swapped the diaphragms.

msmith14

Unregistered

Sunday, April 11th 2021, 11:15pm

So I changed everything inside of the valve instead of the valve itself and the water turned off. My new issue now is that none of the zones turn on. I tested the resistance with the control wire and each zone and got around 20-24 ohms for each. When I tested the voltage there was barely anything being read.
Ahh Jar tops.
Take the solenoid off to make sure the plungers aren't stuck open from debris or power from the controller. But you said you unplugged the controller so it's not that. Still check the plunger inside the solenoid.
While you have the solenoid off, adjust the on/off lever. Take it off, make sure the plastic solenoid seat is snug clockwise. Then put the lever back on so it's 1/2 inch or more away from the stop. Put the solenoid back on. Don't over tighten the on/off lever.
There's a flow control on top of the bonnet. It turns with a screw driver. Turn it down a bit.
With the new diaphragm. It should turn off.
If the valves are real old, the new solenoid could be a problem. Take the white retainer ring off of the bottom of the solenoid. Put the solenoid back on.
Last thing I can think of, you're trying to repair the wrong valves.
I'm assuming that you checked for debris when you swapped the diaphragms.