You are not logged in.

Zach1234

Starting Member

Saturday, April 24th 2021, 10:23am

Sprinkler leaking when system is off

Hello,

I am in need of some assistance. I have 7 zones in my sprinkler system, all with hunter pvc jarhead vAlves. When I have the system OFF, but the water on, zone 4 sprinklers are leaking water. When I got into the valve box, I can hear a “hissing” sound coming from the valve that is zone 4. There is no water leaking but I can hear a sound. Online forum said that they may be debris in there so I took the valve apart, cleaned it, and flushed it for a second but still no luck. Any advice? If anybody could email or PM me, I can send you a video because I do not think I can upload on here. Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zach1234" (Apr 24th 2021, 10:40am)

mrfixit

Saturday, April 24th 2021, 6:04pm

I have zero experience with that valve. I've never seen one installed. But, I have seen what you've described many many times.
Is there a valve right next to it or another valve where you can swap parts with to see if the problem moves with the parts?
Some valves will crack inside allowing water to seep past. Usually the hard plastic valves don't do this but like I said, I don't know if that valve cracks or not. I'd imagine that all valves have the possibility of cracking.
Look around in there as closely as possible with a flashlight. Look for hairline cracks.
I could be the diaphragm or the solenoid. Is the solenoid snug clockwise? Look very closely at the diaphragm for a tiny hole or split. Or bubbling.
Also look at the diaphragm seat. Are there any pits in it? Sometimes you can sand them out.