You are not logged in.

Rolf

Friday, April 23rd 2021, 4:46pm

Valve Identification

Can someone please help me identify this valve and solenoid? System is about 17 years old. Cannot find any ID numbers anywhere. Thank you.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PCSzGnZvLB7Fcm8UA

mrfixit

Friday, April 23rd 2021, 8:29pm

I would say that's an Orbit or Watermaster Jar Top.
This might be what you're looking for. diaphragms

Rolf

Friday, April 23rd 2021, 10:48pm

Orbit/Watermaster

I would say that's an Orbit or Watermaster Jar Top.
This might be what you're looking for. diaphragms

Thank you. That part certainly does look like the diaphragm. I am also needing the solenoid. You may be right about the brand, because the controller is an Orbit. Today I went to HD and looked at the Orbit valves. They had a similar jar top model #57465. However, the threads did not match. Obviously, I am trying to get around digging the whole thing up. :thumbdown:

The Orbit Jar Tops at HD were green, perhaps this is it (Orbit Gray Color): https://photos.app.goo.gl/q4JzGM7eXXgxuw5C7

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rolf" (Apr 23rd 2021, 11:13pm)

mrfixit

Saturday, April 24th 2021, 3:51am

They don't make that valve anymore. One or more might pop up on Ebay every now and then.
But any ole orbit solenoid should work on that valve. What's wrong with the solenoids that you have now? They're probably still good.
Just unscrew your solenoid from the solenoid seat. Reuse the seat with a new solenoid.
Oh, the valve you pictured isn't the same.

Rolf

Saturday, April 24th 2021, 10:00am

Solenoid

Thanks for your reply. I tested the solenoid, and it is locked up. The solenoids they have available at HD don't fit. Right now I am out of luck. Goingback over there to see if I can Frankenstein it from another valve.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rolf" (Apr 24th 2021, 10:57am)

mrfixit

Saturday, April 24th 2021, 5:59pm

The solenoid should totally fit. You need to unscrew that thing that's attached to the bottom of your original solenoid. Screw it back into the valve then attach the new solenoid to it.

Rolf

Sunday, April 25th 2021, 10:48am

Yes, Orbit

Thank you for directing me toward Orbit. This allowed me to narrow my search to the point that things started happening. Went back to the store to see if the Orbit solenoid mount and that solenoid on their jar top models would fit on the old valve. It did. Had to use the old screw ring to secure it. Got it togther, and turned the water on --- nothing. Disassembled the valve, took the top off, and turned on the water...nothing. Now I suspect the backflow preventer which is right in front of the the valve, which is about all it could be unless the valve has something else to it that I cannot see (everything is well-buried). It looks like the plumber will eat well this week. Thank you. :thumbsup:

mrfixit

Sunday, April 25th 2021, 3:59pm

Is there water to the valves?
Do yourself a favor and find a sprinkler repair guy. A plumber will cost a fortune plus they don't really know much about sprinkler systems.
Whenever someone mentions the word plumber to me, I go out of my way to do that job.
It's a pet peeve of mine.
Google Sprinkler Repair.

Rolf

Sunday, April 25th 2021, 8:59pm

Water To The Valve

There is water to the valve unless someone turned something off when I wasn't looking ^^ . When I mentioned the plumber, I was only joking. I'm not done investigating yet. The only time I have ever hired a plumber was to put in a water heater (due to the weight and the lifting -- expensive lift). I am knocking on wood, but I have not been to a car mechanic in 40 years...same with everything else. I now have the gigantic socket for the cap on the backflow in hand (had just about every other socket except a 1 1/16"). Of course I could not do as much without help from people like you, and I do appreciate it greatly. ;)

Rolf

Monday, April 26th 2021, 2:16pm

Solved

I had to wait a while to write this, until my hands stopped shaking, and I quit cussing. There is a gate valve buried 3 feet deep out by the street (so deep you need a tool to reach it, unless you have chimpanzee arms) that goes to the sprinkler. An unknown someone turned the valve off since I quit using the system last fall (drip system is never winterized -- no need for it). The only other occupant of the house is completely non-mechanical. Had she had some reason to do such a stupid thing, she probably would have let me know that she had done it after being married for 45 years, rather than watching me have a heart attack.