You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pepsigrandpa`

Starting Member

Thursday, June 10th 2021, 2:14pm

Adding a water spigot to an existing system

My Neighbor has a Hunter system with a separate water spigot that has water available all the time. I have a rainbird system and would like to add the same feature. My neighbor does not need to activate any zones to get water from the spigot. How does that work and how can I add one to my system?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 16th 2021, 3:02pm

This would have nothing to do with brand names, and would have everything to do with the plumbing of the system having a pipe under continuous pressure that feeds the hose bib.

pepsigrandpa

Unregistered

Friday, June 18th 2021, 7:06am

I understand that it is not a brand thing. I don't understand how to get a pipe under continuous pressure. That would mean the pump is always running unless a pressure switch is used? I guess I could really used a schematic of the system. Any idea where to find one?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 18th 2021, 9:50am

If the system supply is not continuously pressurized, as with city water, then that has to be changed before you consider adding a hose bibb. This can run into hundreds of dollars of pump controls and pressure tank.

pepsigrandpa

Unregistered

Sunday, June 20th 2021, 6:41pm

pepsigrandpa@yahoo.com

I think I'll just add another zone. Tie it to a spigot and turn it on and off as needed.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 21st 2021, 3:20pm

Your idea works better with city water.

Depending on your pump setup, you may still run into issues if the hose demand is too low to match the pump output. An above-ground jet pump would be able to endure a mismatch, but a deep-well submersible pump could get into big trouble, because their no-flow pressure could do some $eroiu$ damage (said damage being avoided with a pressure tank and pressure switch control)

Consider the conversion to pressure tank operation, at least to the extent of pricing the job. Over time, it might be worth it.

pepsigrandpa

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 22nd 2021, 5:55pm

Really appreciate the input. I will go for pricing.