You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mburnickas

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 2:22pm

First this is not even costing the local stealer anything at all here. All he has to do it replace the head and send one back to Hunter and he gets money back. Supporting him also does not mean anything will change either. He can pull the same stuff with his own heads.

Next, lets see local dealer price $24 for a PGP. Online $9.XX. Hmm, not to hard to do the math here. But it is 2.4 times more. Sure what a deal. It is the point here that Hunter’s own Auth. dealers are not following Hunters own policy, that is it. Hunter states I can get a replacement and their own dealers are not adhering to their own rules. Talk about flat-out not doing something.

I will take the emails Hunter sent (and I stated above) down on Monday and speak to them and call Hunter while I am right there. I can not stand people that pull this crap.

I do not agree fair is fair since with other things I have I do not get these flat-out issues. I bought my Lexus in Boston and there do not have issues with that at my local dealer; which was over $8,000 more for the same car. I purchased by Kubota tractor (BX22) in NY and my local dealer, which was $3,000 more does not have any warranty issues. Again, some dealers do there job and other are just blinded by a small thing called greed or just lazy.

So if ANY dealer online or not sells anything Hunter, and not on the authorized Hunter Distributor, they are selling “as is” and can’t honor any warranty by Hunter.. So based on Hunter lists per their website, there is one 1 dealer for Hunter within 1 hours drive, sure I buy that. And many online sites, including this sites very sponsor is not an Auth Hunter Dealer per Hunters own Website. If I am wrong, please correct me. So if you buy anything, good luck getting things corrected even though Hunter states you are entitled to it with their own warranty. Talk about loopholes….
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 3:24pm

You bought your Lexus through authorized distribution, so it gets a commensurate level of support. Maybe the same for the Kubota. While real installers are buying cases of Hunter heads, and at a healthy discount from list price, by the way, you are going to stand around griping about a couple of leakers? Boy, that's weak. Lexus-style support isn't built into the cost of any sprinkler head, so good luck trying to find it. And you are reading Hunter's warranty to suit your own wants, and you are reading it incorrectly. You bought 'grey market' heads, and you get no warranty. Get over it. Or not. It's still a free country, and we can piss and moan over the dumbest things. Go for it.

I recall a line of sprinkler controllers that had a warranty that included on-the-site repair, paid for by the company. But the controllers cost over a thousand dollars.

mburnickas

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 4:23pm

Wet—It is the point that Hunter states one thing and their own dealers (again I stress that) state something else. No more, no less.

I am not going into it but most car dealers or shops or tractor dealers can handle ANY warranty work. Most car places like it since it pays top dollar. I can take my car to an Lexus or Toyota dealer and get warranty work. I can go to my local garage and get the same warranty work. It does not have free food, free cars, leather couch but all handle the warranty work the same.

Also if I am reading it (Hunter warranty) wrong please show me. Since I am the installer and have done many jobs and most times I just toss them out. But I wanted to see if the warranty issue even worked. So far, nope.

Well then, show me anywhere it states I must buy heads from an Auth Hunter Dealer to honor Hunter’s warranty? You can’t. Show me anything that states, as you said, 'grey market' heads? You can’t. Show me where it says I can’t be an installer? You can’t.

Am I pissing and moaning as you posted, nope. I have lots of free time to go for a ride on my bike and stop by some moronic dealer. And I can send Hunters emails everyday for free. And make a simple phone call and speak to more then a TS rep making min wage. And it is the point there some dealers are flat out wrong per Hunter and most believe this too. Kind of sad here, unless you can prove me wrong here.

So in the end, as I stated in my last post. If you are buying online or not, the dealer must be an Auth Dealer to honor the Hunter warranty. If they are not on the list, they are selling “as-is” products. That is it. If you want anything fixed under warranty, you need to go to an Auth Dealer and NOT where you purchased it from (if not an Auth dealer). It is also odd, I feel, that this sites very sponser is not even a Auth Hunter Dealer, per Hunters website. As you stated it they are selling, "grey market heads". I like the site but why not an Auth dealer? If I am wrong, please correct me. But I did not see them on the list under the proper location per there address.

Back to worrying about real stuff.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 4:36pm

I return heads under warranty, but to dealers who know that I buy from them, and don't jerk them around. They profit by their interaction with me. You offer profit to no one.

As for free time, you must have it in spades. This country is having a heat wave, and you piss and moan over a couple of heads, instead of going out and doing five figures a month of installation work? I wish I was rich. But maybe not. Seems to warp one's perspective.

mburnickas

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 3:45am

Thank you the friendly topic. I do not offer profit to no one? There is a difference in giving some money to a dealer for profit (which is 100% fine). There is also a difference in being taking for a ride from greedy dealers & installers too. The local dealers need to earn my business since their prices are flat out robbery. If not, see you later. I can still buy them cheaper online (2.4) times cheaper. I can even go to a Website Hunter told me (and Auth dealer) and get them for almost 2X cheaper...go figure. Again there is a difference in profit and being scammed too.

So far you nor anyone have answered my questions I posted above; instead of stating the same thing (piss and moron).

I do this (installations) so both parties are happy, not one sides like most. Most people think putting them in is rocket science, which it is not. Same with siding and anyone can do these jobs. I do this on the side along with backhoe and loader work (which pays more so I do that when hot). Example, I can install a very small system for $1300 (1/3 acre) which takes a several days (part time) or move 80 to 100 yards of dirt & remove some stumps for the same price in same day. Gee, take you pick which is about 90% less labor on my part and easier? Most people do not complain since I am saving them about 20 to 25% from others. Plus I work as an mech engineer (full time) and I have other income coming in and do not need to do installs every day and all day.

Again I am not "pissing and moaning here". Based on all your posts, you seem to be the one getting a defensive here. And I do not know why? Because I, the installer and customer in this situation and following the rules set forth from Hunter; unless someone can prove me incorrect. Plus there are ways to get the dealer to replace them. Which is what I will do next if the dealer is so moronic they can’t figure it out.

It is the point here as I have stated in almost every post. I think you do not understand it. Yes there, is a heat wave and many people are worried about gas price, watering on certain days per local laws etc in life and not sprinklers. So when these areas hit, for me, I also do more loader and backhoe work. For me, I need other diverse work when times like these demand it and I like to do it.

Plus, if you think taking 15 minutes posting on a forum is to piss and moran..wow, I thought it was just talking and stated what I have encountered or lack there of.

This topic was to ask for clarity and maybe have some closure to it on the topic at hand. I did not want to turn this into a why are you not working blah blah. Either help with the questions asked or not. Either someone can post real facts on the questions I posted at Aug 13 2005 : 9:23:57 PM or not. So far, nope.

I am sorry I do not install these everyday and give my money away to greedy local dealers that are taking advantage of people. But thank you for the help with this topic. I know you are a nice person and help many people out here (and even me at times); which I do thank you. I am also not trying to get anyone mad etc, but state the facts. It is still cheaper for me to buy complete heads online then support my local geedy stealers. They neeed to wake up since I can buy 2.4 heads for his one. Plus there Auth dealers need to follow Hunter policy on warranty issues, unless someone can prove me wrong.

Well that is all for me, need to fire up the bota.
Thanks
Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 5:05am

The 'trunk-slammers' or scrubs, do not merit a discount, and as one of their ilk, you won't be buying PGP's for eight bucks at any local dealer. Simply the economies of scale.

Posting a rant on a chat is a low-impact exercise, and not even a waste of time, if you are doing some other tasks as well. It's just that blaming Hunter for the way things are is kind of pointless, because you would have the same gripe with another brand, if that other brand failed for you within a certain time from manufacture.

If this were as serious an issue as you seem to claim, you will never again buy any Hunter product. (and I'm kind of doubting that)

mburnickas

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 5:56am

I am blaming Hunter somewhat since there Auth dealers are not following there own policy. That is not too hard to understand here.

Again the point is well documented here above and #2, you again failed to answer the questions I posted. I will re-cap here

1) Show me Hunter policy that states I must buy heads from an Auth Hunter Dealer to honor Hunter’s warranty? You can’t.
2) Show me anything that states or supports as you said, 'grey market' heads? You can’t.
3) Show me where it says I can’t be an installer? You can’t.
4) Show me anything that documents these policies from Hunter? So far Hunter is saying the stealer needs to replace them.

I also find it hard to believe that dealer does to not pay $8 to $10 per head. It is like tires for a cars. All these dealer whine and complain that internet sites are killing them. Really??? My inlaws own garages and so far their prices are well below website prices. Go figure. Same with my parts for my cars and bikes. Same attitude since the net as change the way people do business. I say good, time to come down in price and win people busines. So far, Hunter auth dealers are not.

It is not a serious issue since the warranty is null/zero and I will now change people for replacing any heads at anytime. If the customers have any issues, I will tell them to call Hunter or their Auth dealers. Good luck I will tell them since they will not help you unless you pay them some fee that is outrages.
Thanks
Mike

bobw

Advanced Member

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 6:04am

I can understand your frustration; you bought a top name product with a great warranty and now that you need to use the warranty, it appears that no one wants to honor it. Unless Hunter has some serious concerns with people making knock off versions of their products, I would agree that they should honor the warranty. Pure and simple, how you came to own the head has nothing to do with how it was manufactured. The question you have to ask yourself is how much hassle are you willing to go thru to get some satisfaction?

As a secondary question, if you do a number of installs a year, why haven't you opened an account with a local supplier where you'd have access to better than retail pricing and have an established reputation that would make warranty exchanges easy?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 6:14am

Hunter's warranty, as stated in the catalog I hold, states that the defective product is to be returned to an Hunter Authorized Distributor. If any such decide to blow you off, it would seem you are SOL - In purely practical terms, you have to haul your own water in this matter, and you will never get any benefit that merits the time and expense.

Installers don't pay outrageous prices for sprinkler heads because they buy them in quantity enough to get a sizable discount. Distributors will compete for their business. Until you reach that volume, you will be on the outside looking in.

mburnickas

Sunday, August 14th 2005, 8:34am

<b> Wet-boot, </b> Again I agree with you 100% and Hunter Inc already stated that in several emails to me (and I posted that several times above).

Any Auth dealer can perform the warranty, as we know that; now the loophole is getting the dealer to do HIS job per Hunter policy. What the problem is, noted several times above is the Auth dealers are playing games of greed rather then following Hunter own policy on this topic. And local dealers wonder why people go online or elsewhere. They themselves are shooting themselves in the foot. Some dealers go the extra mile and some do not even go one.

<b> bobw </b> You hit it on the head here. Even Hunter itself says they are to replace them. It is truly sad when Hunters states they should do it and the dealer says another thing. So sad....

As far as local suppliers, I have a supplier that I get all my poly pipe etc from. Very nice guy and gives me great deals on the parts and free stuff at times. I also get hunter heads from him. I figured I would try this process that Hunter has outlined on warranty items, so far it is a flat out joke. Either make this more streamline for everyone or do not advertise the warranty.

So far, no one has answered the questions I asked. I do not expect anyone can here either.

And #2 is that so far the warranty on the heads is not even worth the time and effort (if I had to go thought great lengths of time, which I am not). It is a complete joke; unless, there own Auth dealers follow <b> their [hunter] </b> rules...which they do not.
Thanks
Mike

Rate this thread