You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Gmfudge

Monday, October 1st 2007, 3:11pm

Water Continously Bubbles from Sprinkler Head

In July, I purchased nine adjustable arc sprinklers, and successfully replaced four of my old sprinkler heads with the following units: two Toro V-1550s, one Hunter I-20, and one Toro TR-340. On 09/15/2007, I purchased two additional Toro V-1550s. However, I am experiencing a problem with water bubbling out of the top of the head. I installed one of the Toros and approximately every 5 seconds the water pressure would cause the head to raise up an half of inch to discharge the water. I tried the second unit, and with this one the water continuously bubbles out of the top of the head. My water pressure is approximately 6 GPM, which has not cause any problems with the other units - they are working perfectly. The grade of the lawn is level where this sprinkler is located, so elevation change is not a problem It appears as though the drain check value is not functioning properly; but again, no problem with the other two Toro V-1550s, which I previously installed. What do you recommend to correct the problem? Thanks, g

mrfixit

Monday, October 1st 2007, 4:25pm

It sounds like your valve is letting water seep through. Water can't get to your sprinklers unless it passes that valve. I'd take the bonnet off and check the diaphram. Look for a small hole or debris. Check the seat itself for any pits or cracks. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Gmfudge

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 2:47pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrfixit</i>
<br />It sounds like your valve is letting water seep through. Water can't get to your sprinklers unless it passes that valve. I'd take the bonnet off and check the diaphram. Look for a small hole or debris. Check the seat itself for any pits or cracks. Good luck!

Thanks for the response. Both sprinklers I tried are new Toro V-1550s, which I recently purchased from Sprinkler Warehouse. I would not anticipate both to be defective. However, if you believe this to be the problem, then I can return them. I did not experince the problem with other two, which I installed. Thanks, g
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 2nd 2007, 3:58pm

Ok one of us is confused and it's usually me. So, are you saying it leaks every few seconds or bubbling 24 hours a day? If so, then it's the "valve" not any of your new or old sprinklers. To tell the truth I've never seen a Toro V-1500 installed. But your symptoms tell me the valve isn't shutting off all the way.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Gmfudge

Thursday, October 4th 2007, 3:19pm

Mrfixit, my apologies. It was late in the evening when I read your response. Your response is totally correct. I was thinking spinkler instead of valve, when I responded back. I agree with your suggestion - the valve is probably not sealing properly, which is allowing the water to continue to run in that zone. And although the yard is fairly level, the "problem sprinker" is in a slightly lower portion of the yard. I will check the valve this weekend, and let you know I was able to correct the problem. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question. g

Rate this thread