You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

generb

Friday, November 7th 2003, 5:11am

septic fields

I was told, by the well and septic contractor, NOT to sprinkle on top of a septic field. Saturation could limit the fields effectiveness and shorten the life of the field. Fact or fiction?

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, November 7th 2003, 9:55am

i have no clue...hang on and im sure one of the other guys will answer soon...where is this septic field? Your property?
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 8th 2003, 2:33am

I think it depends on the soil type in that area. I dont think you can say "Dont water on a septic field" as there are always exceptions. I think the main reason septic fields fail over time is because people dont get the septic tank pumped enough and the sludge gets out into the field and clogs the piping. I can also see that if a person lives in a swampy area or has soil that does not "perk" well that adding additional water is not a smart idea. I have very sandy soil and I am not concerned at all about my drain feild, therefore I irrigate it. Also a tank should be pumped at least every 5 years.
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 9th 2003, 8:57am

theres your answer!
Thanks
Ray

generb

Friday, November 14th 2003, 4:46am

Thanks fellas. This is new construction so I will be diligent about tank/field maintenance when the time comes. The field sets on the highest spot of the 1.5 acres we have. Yes it is on our property. It seems very sandy "up there" according to perk test. Being that it is on a high spot, I dont anticipate having problems with oversaturation. If so, I guess I change a nozzle or two and squeeze down the amount of water being delivered. Sound OK?
gene

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, November 14th 2003, 1:45pm

sounds good if your sandy i would use the stainless steel heads if pressure permits. (hutner i-20SS)
Thanks
Ray

Rate this thread