You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DEM

Wednesday, May 5th 2010, 7:14pm

PGP and MP Rotators on the same zone?

I am upgrading an existing system with another zone or probably 2 zones. Each of the area's that I need to add zones to have some small area where the MP Rotators are the best fit (about 10' of spray). However, there are also areas that will need a spray distance of 25-30' where I want to use the PGP's. Can I mix 3 PGP's with one MP Rotator on the same zone assuming that I use an MPR40 to reduce the pressure into the MP Rotator (from 50PSI to 40PSI) and convert the 3/4" line to 1/2 before going in the MPR40 body? I have plenty of flow to accomodate all these heads plus some (8 GPM per city code 10 GPM actual flow)

Thanks!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 13th 2010, 9:05am

Generally speaking, you can't mix various types of spray heads on the same zones because thier precipitation rates usually won't match.

As an example, in the days of just Rotors and Spray heads, a Rotor zone might lay down an average of 1/2" of water in an hour, while a spray head zone would lay down 1/2" of water in 15 minutes. If you try to place those on the same zone, the area covered by the sprays would always get 4 times as much water as the area covered by the rotors... and it's generally not desirable for one section of your lawn to get only 1/2" of water when another section gets 2".

That's one of the "magic" things about the various types of MP Rotators... they all have the same precipitation rate and therefore you can mix and match the types of Rotators on the same circuit.

But today, the answer isn't quite a cut-n-dried since there are now various ways to get water down, not just simple rotors and sprays. So the real answer to your question is you have to determine the precipitation rate (inches of water per hour) of the PGPs (the precipitation rate depends upon the GPM (which is determined in part by working pressure) of the PGPs and they way they are arranged (square pattern, triangular pattern, etc)) and the precipitation rate of the MP Rotators (again, determined by GPM and the way they are arranged).

So without knowing the intiment details of your system, there's no way to know for sure. The general wisdom is to not mix various types of spray heads, but if you know what you are doing and can match the precipitaion rates, then there isn't a reason you can't.

debo

Saturday, May 15th 2010, 8:51pm

It is bad, but I do it today...You need to know the precip #'s and you might be okay.

Sunday, May 16th 2010, 12:20pm

keep it simple. the PGP and the MP Rotor nozzle can be mixed together. That is the intent of the design of the MP Rotor. No need to get all zen like over it.