You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mudman

Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 9:43am

Best way to expand current system

I'm looking for some creative ways to expand my current system. I want to add 8-10 valves to my system by extending my current trunk line. My current system uses a pump for the water supply and has two Orbit 12-station timers located at the same location. The end of my trunk line where I want to expand the system is 300 ft from the timers and 400 ft from the pump, so I'm trying to do this without running any wires back to either the timers or the pump. I have two valves installed in the current system that I am not using and one of them is near the end of my trunk line.

The best approach I've been able to come up with is to install a new timer near the expansion, which will be a long distance from the existing timers and would not be connected to them or the pump. I would set the new timer to run the new valves and use one of the unused valves in the existing timers to run the pump. I will need to be careful to open the valves with the new timer before starting the pump with the existing timer or I'll run the risk of damaging the pump by running it without any valves open. My main concern is the new timer will stop functioning (circuit breaker trips for some reason) and the pump will start without any valves open. I'm looking into perhaps putting a pressure relief valve on the trunk line near the new expansion to open if the pressure exceeds the expected operating pressure with the valves open, but I don't know if I could get a sufficient volume of water through it to really protect the pump.
I'd appreciate any ideas on how to do the expansion better or how to protect the pump against a new timer shutdown.

Thanks,
Mudman

SmartEarthAustin

Tuesday, January 21st 2014, 9:30pm

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan.

It's kinda tough to picture the set up. But if I'm picturing it correctly. You could run a control wire to the pump from both MV/P terminal on each controller, that way the pump only operates when one of the controllers has a zone on.

Be careful with two controllers that the run times do not overlap and lower the overall pressure.
http://www.smartearthsprinklers.com/

Cheers!

Gabriel
Licensed Irrigator
Austin, Texas

Rate this thread