You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bryan6376

Unregistered

Monday, April 7th 2014, 8:35pm

Pipes near water valve flood when sprinklers turned on!

Hello folks,
I'll try to keep this short. I just moved into a new place (first time home-owner!). I'm de-winterizing our sprinkler system as temperatures have finally warmed up. The previous owner left me directions on how to do this, which are as follows:
1.) Close the manifold auto drain 2.) Open the main water line 3.) Open the manifold spigot valve
This does indeed turn on the system. However, it also tends to flood my yard, which is not particularly stellar. Playing around with the system, there are two scenarios which may help isolate the flooding problem.
Scenario 1: If I CLOSE the auto drain and OPEN the spigot valve, a PVC T-Junction (see picture) begins to start pouring water out of itself.
Scenario 2: If I OPEN the auto drain and OPEN the spigot valve, the PVC pipe with the auto drain valve (see picture) begins to flood.
Sprinkler Photos
So, these are my questions:
1.) Am I doing something wrong with turning on my system? Is there an easy fix? 2.) If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I'm assuming I have a leak in a pipe somewhere. Would my easiest course of action be to just call a Lawn Service and have them fix it?
Thanks for all your time :)

Bryan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 8th 2014, 1:11pm

Well, that's all rather unbeautiful. Your zone valves are the anti-syphon type, and they must be located at least half-a-foot higher than any sprinkler head downstream of them, in order to provide protection for the water supply from contamination. How you get that required elevation as they are presently positioned is hard to imagine.

What you call an "auto-drain" is anything but "auto" ~ it's a manual angle valve, used as a drain valve.

Rate this thread