You are not logged in.

dzuroff

Monday, April 18th 2005, 6:30pm

Figuring Out Which Nozzle To Use

After reading various messages in the forum I have learned that each head with a different radius should have a different nozzle installed to control the amount of water being deposited on the lawn; i.e. 90 degree radius, 180 degree radius, 360 degree radius, etc... I also realize the key to choosing the correct nozzle is knowing my water PSI and GPM... Unfortunately I do not know these things because I have a pump drawing water from a well and the pump does not have a PSI gage attached. Is there a simple solution here to selecting the correct nozzles? How do I figure out which nozzle to use based on the radius of the rotars?

I have an older system with hunter heads (they need to be replaced) and I thought maybe I could take note of the nozzles installed and cross reference them to the rainbird nozzles that I intend on using. Unfortunately whoever installed the system used the same nozzle (number 7) for all heads regardless of radius so that idea was shot down. At any rate, I am really hoping to get some input on this because I want to be able to set everything up properly.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2005, 9:33pm

You could buy an inexpensive pressure guage at your local hardware store, hook it up to a hose bib on your home, and check the pressure. You should be able to get a pressure guage for under $10.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

dzuroff

Tuesday, April 19th 2005, 5:40am

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure what a hose bib is. I guess I better find out, huh? :) I didn't think about this before but the only place that I know of where I can easily connect a gage is in the middle of my discharge pipe where I have a water valve with a connection for a hose (Is that a hose bib?). Would that give me an accurate reading? The water would basically be flowing through the pipe past the gage so I would not get the same reading as if it was a closed system.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 24th 2005, 8:52pm

Correct, a hose bib is where you connect your hose (aka an outdoor faucet) sorry about that!
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

mburnickas

Wednesday, May 25th 2005, 7:09am

I still think even when pressure etc is known; you will need to fine tune the heads. Based upon precip rates, soil etc. I have about 80.5 psi on city water line and that will go down after backflow. I can run #6 on my hunter PGP’s. But using these are too much so I had to back down.

So the meter for like $6 at Home Depot will get you close to "somethinh" here, but it is not carved in stone.
Thanks
Mike
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"--Airplane

Rate this thread