You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 5th 2005, 5:24am

basement or outside for RPZ?

I currently have a tap from my mainline (all 1" - pipe sizes are ok) right after it enters the basement and have a dual check in the basement with a line back outside below ground to two yard hydrants. I am adding a sprinkler system and am trying to figure out if I should put the RPZ (required by state code) in the basement or outside. The sprinkler installer planned to leave the dual check, tee off the line inside and run a pipe outside through the rim joist. These are the pros of each that I can think of:

Basement:
Protected from freezing
Could replace dual check and feed both sprinklers and yard hydrants
Could leave the yard hydrants on year round with a valve for sprinkler and another for hydrants.
Could still run pipe through rim joise to save digging up tap (already installed) just outside house)
Easily plumbed to drain trap (currently used by water softener)

Outside:
No issue with discharge from drain line or mess from cleaning screens, etc (screen is required by state code) Don't think this is a major issue
Easier compressor hookup for winterization (not sure about this one..)
Installer is more familiar with this location

Have I missed anything? I am leaning toward the basement install, mainly because of the freeze protection and the fact that it could simply replace the dual check. It is in a utility area with a close floor drain so a little water on the floor when working on it isn't a big deal.

I would appreciate others thoughts on this matter.

Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 5th 2005, 3:36pm

Outside. Do not install a RPZ indoors unless it is in a room with a working floor drain capable of draining the full flow of your sprinkler system water supply. In freezing climates, an RPZ means extra work to avoid winter freezing, but if you have to have it, you do the work.

Rate this thread