You are not logged in.

redjacket77

Unregistered

Friday, July 18th 2014, 1:50am

pvc pipes sticking out of the ground next to the valve box

Last year one of my zone didn't stop after the timer is up. I had to manually turn off the main switch at the controller box. This year when I turn on the system, I found that zone has no water coming out. I have three zones and there are 3 pipes about 18" tall sticking out the ground next to the valve box. The pipes have cap almost as if they are valves but I can't turn it because it is too tight. What are these pipes for? Could it be turn shut by someone so that no water is coming out for that zone? Help is appreciated.

mrfixit

Friday, July 18th 2014, 3:41am

Your post is a tad confusing. I'd only be speculating on what exactly is going on.

Can you post a picture or two?

How about a picture of your "main controller box switch" and the valve box and the things sticking out of the ground.

Go to this site tinypic.com

redjacket77

Unregistered

Friday, July 18th 2014, 11:47pm

There are actually 6 pipes next to the valve box about one foot tall. The pipes are connected two at a time forming 3 pairs. On each pair, there is a knob or cap. I think this is called the atmospheric breaker valves for back flow prevention. One for each of the three zones. After doing some reading on the web, I don't think turning the knob on the top of the defective zone's breaker valve would help. I am speculating the problem most likely in the valve or the solenoid. I also see water in the valve box when the other two zones are working so there must be a leak. Do you know the ball park cost of hiring sprinkler repair professional to fix this?

mrfixit

Saturday, July 19th 2014, 5:07am

Call around and ask people to come and give you an estimate. Prices can vary dramatically.
Also ask how much the estimate will be. I've always given free estimates but there's a guy in town who charges 85 dollars.
As you can imagine his repairs are dramatically higher in price as well. Plus he does crappy work. I've repaired it many many times.
He charged a guy 1,200 dollars for something I would have done for 350. Then he wired it up wrong and wouldn't come back to fix it. That's why I was there.
Go with your gut who's the better person for the job once you meet them.
Maybe call the local sprinkler supply house and see if they know who's honest.