You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

juan

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 4:57pm

Febco 765 pvb not sealing properly

I have a Febco 765 pvb that drips after I open the input water valve. I can hear the seal engaging when I turn the input water valve. Is there anything that I can do to improve the seal and stop the drip short of replacing the whole pvb?

The pvb is only 2 years old so it seems odd that it would not seal properly.

Thanks
Juan

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 6:55pm

What is your water pressure? Sometimes if your pressure is low enough, the backflow device may think there is a backflow condition and not seal properly. Also, sometimes if you open the inlet valve too slow the valve will not seat properly. Try closing and opening it a couple of times to see if it seats properly. Was the system properly winterized? If need be, you can replace the internal parts of the 765.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

juan

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 9:06am

RidgeRun05

Thanks for your reply.

I believe that I winterized the system properly. There does not appear to be any cracks in the metal exterior of the PVB.

I've tried opening and closing the input valve quickly but get the same results every time.

How do I check the water pressure? What should it be?

Seems like other subscribers to Sprinkler Talk are having similar problems with their Febco PVB. Are Febcos prone to frequent failure?

Thanks again
Juan

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 6:00pm

I haven't had many problems out of the Febco backflows I have installed, but I have seen the problem you are talking about before. You should be able to get your water pressure reading either a) from a gauge near your well holding tank, or b) if you are on municipal water, from the water department. You could also hook a pressure gauge onto a hose bib on the outside of the house. There many not be any cracks in the brass, but the inside diaphragm may have a tear or crack in it. You have to remove the hex nut on top of the backflow to remove in internal components of the backflow, check that out, and replace it if need be. If the outside "s****" so to speak of the backflow is OK, then just inspect the internal components of it, and replace if need be. Also, I am assuming the drip is coming from undernieth the bonnet, correct?
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

juan

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 6:46pm

Tony

The drip is coming from underneath the bonnet.

I will take the internal components as you instructed. I heard that I can buy a replacement kit for the diaphram.

I really appreciate your quick response to my questions.

Thank you
Juan

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 9:04pm

Your correct, you can buy a replacement kit for just the internal components
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread