You are not logged in.

Stanman

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 28th 2014, 9:59pm

Leaky sprinkler head

Have a continuously leaking sprinkler head - have been told that I need to "replace the valve" but not sure what exactly is being referred to. I have a Hunter control panel but not sure if that makes a difference with the sprinkler heads or not. Any hints for what to purchase and how to repair?

irrigirl

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 9:34am

Is it the last sprinkler head in that zone?

If so, you can do a couple of tests to figure out the problem. You will need to locate your valves or valve boxes.

1. First, move the solenoid from that valve to another. Does it act the same way? If so, this could mean a faulty solenoid. If not, this means your solenoid is fine and you can eliminate it from troubleshooting.

2. Make sure there is no debris under the solenoid. Make sure the solenoid is tight. Make sure that if there is an on/off lever under the solenoid, that it is all the way to the right in the OFF position. Make sure that any bleeds are tight.

3. If the solenoid looks to be fine, shut off the main water. Take the valve apart and look below the diaphragm for debris, clean out. Reseat the diaphragm. If you still have the same issue after taking the valve apart, then replace the diaphragm in the valve.

Stanman

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 9:57pm

Thanks

Thank you for the info - I will work down the algorithm. I do not believe that this is the last sprinkler in the zone, however. Much appreciated

Is it the last sprinkler head in that zone?

If so, you can do a couple of tests to figure out the problem. You will need to locate your valves or valve boxes.

1. First, move the solenoid from that valve to another. Does it act the same way? If so, this could mean a faulty solenoid. If not, this means your solenoid is fine and you can eliminate it from troubleshooting.

2. Make sure there is no debris under the solenoid. Make sure the solenoid is tight. Make sure that if there is an on/off lever under the solenoid, that it is all the way to the right in the OFF position. Make sure that any bleeds are tight.

3. If the solenoid looks to be fine, shut off the main water. Take the valve apart and look below the diaphragm for debris, clean out. Reseat the diaphragm. If you still have the same issue after taking the valve apart, then replace the diaphragm in the valve.

Rate this thread