You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Stanman

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 28th 2014, 10:11pm

Hunter Pro-C 300i Controller

Hello -

An extreme novice to installed sprinkler systems, so any thoughts are helpful. We have a Hunter Pro-C 300i Indoor controller. It has 6 zones. Zones 1-3 (on the pre-installed module) work just fine. Zones 4-6 stopped working all of a sudden about two weeks ago. It's not clear to me if the ENTIRE control panel needs to be replaced, or if I can get away with just replacing the 3 expander MODULE for Zones 4-6. The 4-6 zones work fine if I rewire the Zone 4-6 wires to Zones 1-3 screws.

I will add that the rain sensor function was previously shorting out the system, but someone came to take a look at it and said that it was due to a metal plate that was left in place in the rain sensor screws that resulted in the whole system shorting out and turning off. He did remove the plate. But, for that reason, he said that the whole controller needed replacement (we never discussed just replacing the module and seeing if that would do the trick).

Thoughts? Much appreciated.

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 1:43am

Write down your current programming.
Take out the 4-5-6 module.
Take out the back up battery.
Unplug the controller and wait 5 minutes.
Reinstall the module.
Make sure the module is locked into place.
Plug the controller back in.
Does it work?
Put the battery back in.
Reprogram.

You could always press the reset button and see if that helps.

irrigirl

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 9:19am

1. Move the 4-6 module to the 7-9 spot and see if it comes on there. Does it?

2. You know that this 1-3 is a working module. Put it in the 4-6 spot If it works in the 4-6 spot, this means that the 4-6 module is bad. If it does not, you know that this 4-6 area of the circuit board is bad. This doesn't necessarily mean you need to replace the whole controller. It looks like there are 7-15 extra spots for zones you could move the 4-6 module. You would just have to move it to one of those spots and reprogram.

*Refer to the manual p14 for installing controller modules so that you can remove them properly.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/PIG_ProC_dom.pdf

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 4:22pm

Put the plate back in. You only take that out if you have a rain sensor installed.

As you probably know you can't put the 1-3 module into the next slot so don't try that. You probably also know there isn't a 13-15 slot.

The directions in the booklet don't apply to the older models of the Pro-C. On the older models you have to unplug and reinstall the module.

I don't have a clue what year your controller is. The date's inside the battery compartment.

Stanman

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 29th 2014, 10:14pm

thanks

Thanks to the both of you for the replies.

1) the unit is made in 2002.
2) I do have a rain sensor attached, but the plate was left in place for some reason. I was told that this was the reason the system was shorting out (turning off the entire controller)

- I will for sure walk through the algorithm that you propose to see if the module needs a reset.

3) I have removed the module and currently am only using the 1-3 slot. In the meantime, I did purchase a new module and will try that in the 7-9 and the 4-6 slot when received. If that doesn't work, will move on to replacing the entire controller.

Thank you both again.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 30th 2014, 5:08am

The plate only simulates a rain detector in its dry un-tripped state. It doesn't do any harm. It is supposed to be removed when a rain detector is wired to the controller.