You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

villnorm

Starting Member

Friday, June 30th 2023, 6:33pm

Planning my first irrigation system

Hello everyone,

I'm living in Montréal and I'm currently doing my first irrigation system for my new home. I started doing my homework of planning my system by looking at the available water source for the house. I have read many websites to try to get an idea of the best setup for my house, but I would like your advises.

Here's the specs:

Water is provided by the city and it enters directly in the basement from a copper pipe to the main shutoff valve (no water meter in my town), then it get transfered into a 3/4" Pex pipe to the rest of the house. There's a hose faucet outside the house on a 1/2 Pex pipe. I did the GPM test on it and got around 6-7GPM. I don't have a PSI gauge to plug on the faucet, but the house have a water softener on the main 3/4 Pex pipe and has 2 PSI gauge on it (One showing the around 60PSI from the main 3/4 Pipe and the other after the softener process going to the rest of the house is showing around 57PSI).

My first question, I find that the 6-7GPM out of the 1/2 faucet seems low. If I plan to connect my setup directly to the 3/4in main water Pex pipe before the water softener would this improve the GPM significantly?

I live where we have freezing winters (-22F/-30C) so I came to the conclusion that a Pressure vacuum breakers (PVB) wouldn't work outside unless I remove it for winter. I'm thinking instead to use a double check valve assembly (DCA) or a reduced pressure zone device (RZPD) if the pressure loss is acceptable, that would be installed in my heated basement (so it won't freeze). I would still drain the whole system every winter. Is that a good idea?

I read about the water velocity and that the best to avoid problems is to stay below the 5 feet per minute range. Would it be ok to connect a 1" pex pipe to the 3/4 main water pipe (after the main shutoff valve) using a Tee for my system? I'm wondering if the velocity inside the main 3/4 pex (before going into the 1" pex) would be an issue in that case or is this 5 fpm thing only applicable downstream of the system to protect the sprinklers/valves?

Do I need a pressure regulator on the system or is the sprinklers already able to regulate the pressure themselves?

Thanks for your time!