You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

g_rosco

Starting Member

Wednesday, August 3rd 2005, 1:16pm

Pump is short cycling

We have a residential irrigation system running off a shallow well pump. The pump delivers about 20 gal/min. The pressure switch on the pump is set to turn-off at about 60 psi. The original design was done so each zone handles a bit more than 20 gal/min at 60 psi. As such, when a zone valve opens, the pump just runs without a need for a storage tank. It's operated like this for about 9 years now.

This year I've noticed that the pump will short cycle on certain zones. The problem isn't always consistant as multiple attempts at turning on a zone will sometimes work as expected, and sometimes result in short cycling. All the heads are spraying water, so I don't think the problem is at the heads.

I suspect the problem may be zone valves (irritrol) which aren't opening fully all the time. Does this sound right? How would you diagnose a faulty zone valve? Can they be serviced, or is it better to just replace them. What else could it be?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 3rd 2005, 4:11pm

Buy a new valve of the same type, and swap out all the parts with the valve you suspect isn't working.

Rate this thread