You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

macann

Wednesday, September 14th 2005, 11:52am

Febco Problems - Spewing Water - More info

I have previously posted an note about water spewing out the top of my Febco. It was previously connected to my sprinkler valves. I have now separated it from the sprinkler systems in order to diagnose the problem. There is currently only a 1' section of PVC pipe connected to the outlet of the Febco.

I have taken the top bell top off my Febco to watch it in action. Here is what is happening.

1) I open the inlet valve, which comes from copper piping from my house. The diaphram inside seals completely against the top.
2) I open the outlet which is connected via an adapter, to 1" PVC pipe.
3) The water flows freely, but the diaphram drops down.
4) Then if the outlet pipe is blocks (with my hand), the water now flows over the now-dropped diaphram and spews out under the bell.

Is this normal? Is my diaphram dropping down because the water is flowing out of the Febco faster than it is flowing in?
Or is there an adjustment or a spring that is supposed to keep the diaphram from dropping back down?

Getting frustrated, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Maureen

Tom

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 14th 2005, 1:23pm

no its not normal.

check to see that the sprinkler shut off valve as well as the house shut off valves are fully open

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 14th 2005, 1:53pm

Yes...it is NOT normal...(yes we have no bananas!)

The water is going out of the Febco faster than it is coming in....resulting in your problem. Check to see that the valve supplying the water to your febco is open all the way...check to see if there is a restriction in the piping to the febco..(could be that the pressure regulator is malfunctioning)

Good luck
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread