You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pizzabobber

Starting Member

Saturday, December 10th 2005, 4:08pm

Voltage Triggers

****o,
I am looking to develop a water shooting system for a movie set. This is not for irrigation, folks.I want to be able to trigger valves with switches, not a sprinkler timer. If I were to use 12 volt solenoid based valves, could i just use a 12 volt power supply, and send like 1 second of electricity to open up the valve? How does all of that buisiness work? Does the valve rely on digital signals as well? Thank you so much.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 11th 2005, 3:23pm

Most new sprinkler valves, as well as most older valves, are powered by 24 VAC solenoids. As far as running them off of switches, If you found the proper switch, you might be able to do this. I think your best bet would be to consult an electrician on this. An electrician may suggest some type of 110v to 24 VAC transformer. As far as opening and closing the valves in a seconds notice, it is not possible. Irrigation valves are not built to open and close quickly, because it will cause water hammer in the system. What exactly are you trying to accomplish for your movie set?
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, December 12th 2005, 8:08am

Not to mention:

One second of voltage may open the valve, but as soon as the voltage is gone.....the valve will close...the voltage needs to be constant on....therefore, the switch would have to be on a timer or on and off....not a toggle switch like a remote car starter or something like that.

Should be easy enough actually to set this up....You could have a 120v source with a 24v transformer installed...the transformer wires could go to all the switches you want...however, the Watts/Amps from the transformer would need to be large enough to operate multiple valves..depending of course on how many would be on at any given time.

It is winter here.....I would love to be in the movies..need some help?? :)
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread