You are not logged in.

Saturday, January 14th 2006, 5:50am

Lost Valves

I am trying to locate two lost valves in the yard. I have read about a device that either buzzes or clicks the solenoid when attached to the controller. You go into the yard and listen for the sound. Will this thing actually work well enough to find a hidden valve?
If this location method is unreliable, what can a homeowner do to find a missing valve?

I am also replacing a valve that has the solenoid wires buried? Would it be better to make the new connections so that they are visible in the valve box or bury them again?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 14th 2006, 12:11pm

It is a reliable way to find valves...it does help to be a sprinkler tech using this method as we have a pretty good idea of where the valves should be to begin with.

I recommend hiring a sprinkler tech to come out and find the valves....I charge from 75-100 to find valves....if that isn't feasible you could buy a device like what you are talking about...for about 75 dollars....

If you need a recommendation of who to call....tell us where you are, many of us know other techs from around the country and could help you find some help.

Good luck.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Saturday, January 14th 2006, 1:31pm

I called an installer but I was looking for a way to learn about the valve location process. I did not know if the buzzing device was worth the retail price and I wanted to check with the experts before I made a purchase.

Would it be better to leave connected valve wires laying visible in a valve box or to bury the wires for the best protection?

radical

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 8:53am

If you are just doing this once, you might want to rent a wire locator from a local Irrigation Supply House. The clicker does work but I have a Progressive Electronics 521 Wire locator and
have found valves on the beach lost from Hurricanes. This is the type they usually rent. You just start at the Controller and follow the dead spot between the two tones. As far as the wires, make sure they have a wire spice on them, but don't bury them in the valve box.
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

lush96

Advanced Member

Sunday, March 19th 2006, 5:45pm

radical hit it on the nose. use the tracer and when you lose the signal thats where the valves are. unless the wire continues to another valve location. in that case it gets difficult. always put a valve box over your valves and if buried properly, you will nevr have this problem.

Rate this thread