You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

spensito

Friday, February 17th 2006, 4:38am

How do I reprime my lawn irrigation system?

The pump comes on, water gurles, hissing from the sprinkler heads, but no water comes out - sounds like i need to prime?

I'm in Florida. I have an intermatic timer with a skipper, and the object that looks like a 4-legged spider is about a foot off the ground. I was thinking of taking the top off that anyway cuz I've been seeing intermittent problems changing zones. Do I put water in there, or where?

Thanks

spensito

Friday, February 17th 2006, 6:01am

found an item on alt.home.repair:

There should be a plug in the top of the pump housing. You need to
remove the plug and simply fill the pump and piping full of water.
Replace the plug and start the pump. Sometimes you might have to do this
a time or two, but usually it will catch a prime right away.

feel free to add to above - I'm going to try this today or tomorrow (NO RAIN in FL in the WINTER!! well, not much anyway)

but thanks for prior and future help!

Mike

radical

Sunday, March 5th 2006, 3:38pm

Hopefully you got the pump primed that way. I'm in Northwest Florida and about 50 percent of the irrigation is on Index Valves - the four legged spider. The index valve has a rotator disk in it and when you first start the pump for the season some crap may come out of the well and stick between the disk and the wall of the Index Valve - it's only about a 1/16th of a inch gap. Rapping the valve gently will dislodge the debris. When the disk sticks it will send water to all zones at the same time - not enough to run or popup anything.
Richard Kersten

S&R Sprinkler Systems and Landscaping, Inc.
Destin, Florida

Rate this thread