You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

florida_wen

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 4:54am

BEST RP BackFlo? Wilkins -or- Febco

[?] I'm tryin' to decide what brand REDUCED PRESSURE BackFlo (1") to buy ?? I heard some "negative" comments about Febco that worry me. My choice is between FEBCO 825Y -or- WILKINS 975XL. Both around same price.... but NOT a money issue anyway.... I just want quality !!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 6:17am

Both are similar in design, and I've used them both. The fact that I dismantle a Febco 825Y for winterizing may forstall some of the 'sticking check' problems that the indoor-installed 805Y (double-check version of the same basic device) developed over time. Febco does have a newer RPZ design on the market now, the 860.

BSME

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 6:44am

As far as my preference... I like the Febco... I haven't seen one fail yet either

florida_wen

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 11:38am

THANKS for the replies.... I just ordered a FEBCO 825 (1") for $135 inc. shipping. The person there told me he thinks Wilkins is still American made and Febco and Watts are "imported" but the Febco has the "least plastic internal parts" of the three and has been the most RELIABLE !!

NOW.......... to move on to purchasing new 6-zone CONTROLLER ?? I've been struggling to make a choice.... Hunter PRO-C ??.... Irritrol RAIN DIAL 6 ??.... RAINBIRD ESP ?? ......... THEN six new VALVES.... Irritrol 2400T ??.... Rainbird 100-DVF ???? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 21st 2006, 12:31pm

All three still have US foundries, and there are others, too. If Febco happens not to have fixed the 'sticking check valve' problem, you can look out for it yourself by occasionally opening (only one at a time, so you can't mismatch the parts) a check valve on the RPZ and seeing that the parts slide freely. Sometimes the brass built up some corrosion and the plastic piece would stick in it.

Rate this thread