You are not logged in.

bam486

Friday, June 28th 2002, 1:51pm

Low Pressure

I have a pressure problem with my system. It has always been a problem. I installed the system when my house was being built. I have 8 zones with any where from 3 to 12 heads on each zone. I have city water with approx 42 psi. I have to manually turn off some heads to get the system to work. I need help to know how to correct this problem without tearing out the whole system. Can I add a booster pump? If so how do I calculate what size pump I need?
Thanks

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, June 28th 2002, 6:21pm

12 heads with 42 psi? You either need to have 60-70 gpm or a really small nozzle. Reduce the nozzle size as much as you can or Redesign to increas the flow and pressure a bit. I as assuming that you hvae the Hunter I 10/20's with FloStop? You could also put check valves between the riser and inlet of the sprinkler. What is your gpm and what size nozzle are you currently using? Need a little more info. for sizing your booster for ya'

bam486

Monday, July 1st 2002, 4:01pm

I have 7 gpm at the hose bib. Pressure drops to 32-35 psi with 1 zone of sprinklers on. Measures about 42-45 psi with no water on. I have 3/4" copper into the backflow valve and 1" pvc going to the zone valves.

bam486

Monday, July 1st 2002, 4:54pm

What will check valves in the risers before the heads do? How do I determine the nozzle size?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, July 1st 2002, 6:31pm

Check valves will allow a little more pressure to the heads. The nozzle number should be on the nozzle itself. Give me the nozzle size and the kind of head and I will tell you how many sprinklers you can run on a zone.

bam486

Tuesday, July 2nd 2002, 2:58pm

I have a variety of sprinklers, but the biggest problem is where I have 3 rainbird t series with 1.3 nozzles. I have to turn 1 off and the other 2 barely work. I also have a zone with 8 adjustable pop ups set at 1/2 pattern. They are 1.12 gpm each. They also don't work very well. I would like to add a booster pump for this and also because my outside hose bib I use for washing cars doesn't have enough pressure to satisfy me. I don't see booster pumps on the website. Are there any? If not, I have access to Teel pumps, but I don't know which size I need. Also can I add a pressure regulator after the booster pump to keep the pressure constant while running a variety of sprinklers and hoses? What do you use to make a booster pump cycle on and off?
Thanks for all the help.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 2nd 2002, 5:16pm

There is a device called a pump start relay...Connects to your controller using wires. Use this site to decide which size of pump to get....http://www.jessstryker.com/pump.htm

Rate this thread