You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bam486

Friday, June 28th 2002, 1:51pm

Low Pressure

I have a pressure problem with my system. It has always been a problem. I installed the system when my house was being built. I have 8 zones with any where from 3 to 12 heads on each zone. I have city water with approx 42 psi. I have to manually turn off some heads to get the system to work. I need help to know how to correct this problem without tearing out the whole system. Can I add a booster pump? If so how do I calculate what size pump I need?
Thanks

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, June 28th 2002, 6:21pm

12 heads with 42 psi? You either need to have 60-70 gpm or a really small nozzle. Reduce the nozzle size as much as you can or Redesign to increas the flow and pressure a bit. I as assuming that you hvae the Hunter I 10/20's with FloStop? You could also put check valves between the riser and inlet of the sprinkler. What is your gpm and what size nozzle are you currently using? Need a little more info. for sizing your booster for ya'

bam486

Monday, July 1st 2002, 4:01pm

I have 7 gpm at the hose bib. Pressure drops to 32-35 psi with 1 zone of sprinklers on. Measures about 42-45 psi with no water on. I have 3/4" copper into the backflow valve and 1" pvc going to the zone valves.

bam486

Monday, July 1st 2002, 4:54pm

What will check valves in the risers before the heads do? How do I determine the nozzle size?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, July 1st 2002, 6:31pm

Check valves will allow a little more pressure to the heads. The nozzle number should be on the nozzle itself. Give me the nozzle size and the kind of head and I will tell you how many sprinklers you can run on a zone.

bam486

Tuesday, July 2nd 2002, 2:58pm

I have a variety of sprinklers, but the biggest problem is where I have 3 rainbird t series with 1.3 nozzles. I have to turn 1 off and the other 2 barely work. I also have a zone with 8 adjustable pop ups set at 1/2 pattern. They are 1.12 gpm each. They also don't work very well. I would like to add a booster pump for this and also because my outside hose bib I use for washing cars doesn't have enough pressure to satisfy me. I don't see booster pumps on the website. Are there any? If not, I have access to Teel pumps, but I don't know which size I need. Also can I add a pressure regulator after the booster pump to keep the pressure constant while running a variety of sprinklers and hoses? What do you use to make a booster pump cycle on and off?
Thanks for all the help.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 2nd 2002, 5:16pm

There is a device called a pump start relay...Connects to your controller using wires. Use this site to decide which size of pump to get....http://www.jessstryker.com/pump.htm

Rate this thread