You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

RobCN

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 11:47am

Rotor or MP Rotator ????

I need to replace some 10+ year-old, failing Hunter rotors in a small system. Was plannning to use I-20, PGP or Rainbird 5000, but then I read here about the MP Rotator. Problem is, the system is designed 4 heads per zone in zones that are basically square with the heads in the middle of the sides of the square, (not in the corners). That cuts the needed spray radius down to about 16-22 feet, to keep the spray off street and driveways.

What will be the best way to do this? It looks like the MP Rotator is a fairly good match to the distance requirement, but I would have to replace the existing rotors with pop-up heads with the MP Rotators. Is that a good option? will it work with 3/4" existing male pipe connections from the Hunter rotors?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!11

Tom

Supreme Member

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 3:34pm

I-20's, pgp's, and 5000's throw to far for 16' to 22' coverage

3500's or pgj's would work well for 16 to 22'
mprotators' will work well too.

both of these suggestions use 1/2" threads.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, April 3rd 2006, 3:45pm

Use the 3500's or the PGJ's....you'll be happy you did.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

RobCN

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 5:33am

Looking at the 3500's and PGJs, it looks like either could meet the distance requirement, but would leave me with the problem of how to convert from 3/4" to 1/2" pipe without either pushing the head up too high or having to dig around and try to lower the pipe. Does anyone here know how much height is added with a 3/4 x 1/2 adapter? I don't actually remember ever seeing that item.

I'm wondering if the Hunter I-20 Ultra with the Short Radius Nozzle Rack might be a good solution. that allows distances from 17 - 25 feet, which I think will be close enough. Those cost a couple of dollars more, but there aren't that many of them, so I can live with the extra cost if I don't have to spend too much time mucking around with pipe elevations. This is an old system, and the way it's built makes moving the pipe up or down not so easy. The I-20 also looks like a very good, high-quality product. Maybe better and longer-lasting than PGJ's or 3500's ??? I'm not sure about that.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 4th 2006, 3:02pm

It's always easiest to replace like with like. If a PGP worked for a decade, another one will do the same. Current PGP nozzles may even give you a better 'throttled-down' pattern than older ones did.

RobCN

Wednesday, April 5th 2006, 4:33am

I decided to do some testing with the I-20s. Ordered a couple of those and a set of the short radius nozzles. They are direct replacement for the ones in the ground now, so no piping changes required.

Specs on I-20 look really good, and the price from SprinklerWarehouse is just a couple of bucks more than PGP, so there's very little to lose trying these. If I don't like them, it's easy enough to switch to other products.

One other thing I did was check with my local sprinkler supply house. Their price for the I-20 is DOUBLE what SprinklerWarehouse charges, and they don't even have the short radius nozzle package. Customer service says my order will get shipped today, so I should have some test results in a few days.

Rate this thread