You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ranch Dog

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 10:52am

Hunter I-90

I'm using the Hunter I-90s to irrigate a food plot for whitetail deer. I'm having a problem with a head not reversing when it hits the limit of its arc to the right. I've flushed it out and they look clean. It just doesn't come back to the left.

[img]http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Ranch/Images/WI PowerPlant.jpg[/img]
Michael

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 11:39am

I would contact the supplier, or Hunter. Myself, laying out a system for that purpose, would probably be using full-circle impact heads, and avoiding reversing-mechanism problems.

Ranch Dog

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 5:41pm

That would be nice but I've got to cover the corners somehow. I will give Hunter a call. The Hunter heads were expensive and I'm not happy with the performance, what alternatives are there for the I-90 from other manufacturers? These heads seem to leak a lot of water around the head and that has caused a bit of erosion around the bases of the standpipe. The heads no longer retract and now the problems with reversing. One year in service and after running once every three days they are wore out. Let's see... each head has only run 122 times and has cycled 730,000 gallons of water.
Michael

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 5:47pm

What kind of water are you pumping through those bad boys? Filter?

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 21st 2006, 5:47pm

What kind of water are you pumping through those bad boys? Filter?

Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Ranch Dog

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 2:46am

It is unfiltered but here is info about the well and how things work.

The well was put in place to supply the water demand for a oil/gas drilling rig. The exploration outfit left it in place and I had the outfit that drilled it set it up for this irrigation need. It has a 5-HP submerged pump and flows straight from the ground to the heads. Prior to the heads operating, it flows into a lake for an hour. I get very little sand at the heads, I could probably count the grains remain in a head when I take it apart.

An irrigation outfit installed this system and it is a first class layout but they won't work with anything but Hunter. It was my understanding that the I-90 head was made for this type of work or the way it was explained to me by my installers supplier that the I-90 is intended for this use. That supplier gave an example of that head typically being used on golf courses, using water from rain water recovery ponds.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get some ideas about what's wrong with these heads and alternatives before I bring my irrigation contractor out here and have to hear Hunter this and Hunter that.
Michael

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 5:20am

Hey, if the heads failed, they failed. They're under warranty, so get replacements. As long as you have clean water at sufficient pressure, you've done all you can.

In any event, you can probably replace a part-circle I-90 with an agricultural impact head.
http://www.rainbird.com/ag/products/impacts/85ehd.htm

Ranch Dog

Monday, May 22nd 2006, 8:24am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />Hey, if the heads failed, they failed. They're under warranty, so get replacements. As long as you have clean water at sufficient pressure, you've done all you can.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

True!

I like the looks of that Rainbird head... that style is what I had in mind to use when I started this project but the guy I used only deals with Hunter. Time to check out the warranty and then will report back.
Michael

Rate this thread