You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hchason

Starting Member

Friday, July 21st 2006, 11:43am

Water Pressure and GPM - Again

I have read the 2 year old posting in regards to water pressure and GPM and while it made sense, I am still having doubts in my design.

The pipe entering my home is 1", my water meter is 3/4", and the pipe after the meter that is servicing my home is 1". I get show 60 PSI from the facet outside the house with a 1/2" pipe connecting this to the 1" pipe servicing the rest of my home. My hose bibe is so low to the ground it's difficult to get a GPM reading. Also, from the many sources of literature I've read, the water presssure and GPM diminish from the resistance of the polypipe running out to the sprinkler heads.

I originally design my system by using a chart that lets you look up the pipe and water meter size and gives you the GPM. In my case that is 11-13 GPM. I have 10 Hunter PGJ rotor meters using a total of 13 GPM (1.3 x 10 GPM) in one zone. My neighbors, who had their systems professionally installed, have 3-4 rotors on a zone. I show 10 rotors.

Do I know what the PSI or GPM will be 100 feet from the valve box? What am I missing?

Also would you design to spray into/over an 8ft pine tree or up to it?
hchason

Beartooth

Saturday, July 22nd 2006, 8:57pm

Based on the facts you have provided, design your system to use approximately 10 gpm. Now you have a cushion in the event that you have miscalculated, or that water usage in your area increases and your system will be able to still perform well with a higher water demand being placed on the municipal water system as a whole. Play it safe when designing your system. Always leave yourself a cushion. Also, why would you want to spray over a pine tree? It is just going to keep growing .

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, July 24th 2006, 7:14am

<i>Do I know what the PSI or GPM will be 100 feet from the valve box? What am I missing?</i>

You have to look up Friction Loss Tables. These tables tell you how much pressure is lost through every 100' of pipe for a given pipe size and gpm.

Rate this thread