You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jet121

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 3:04am

new zone higher than back flow

****o all
I’m trying to figure out how to put a new zone on my system that's higher than my pressure back flow.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 4:19am

I guess you've got two options...

1. Raise the backflow.
2. Replace the backflow with something that can be below the level of the zones (RPZ or DC if DCs are allowed in your area).

jet121

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 6:38am

i can't add a backflow to the new zone?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 10:23am

Well, yea, you can do that.

I even though of adding that as a third option, but then you're not really "fixing" the existing system, you're actually creating a 2nd system because you'd have to tie into the main before the existing backflow, run that new main to the new zone, and install the 2nd backflow above the height of the new zone. Now generally speaking (now knowing the particulars of your layout) that just seems silly and MIGHT be more expensive than neccesary. For example, which is cheaper (and either one could bepending upon the length of the run and the cost of the backflow) MOVE the existing backflow to the new location (requires enough pipe to go from existing main out to the new location and back to the existing valves) or purchase a 2nd backflow to create two systems (and are you required to get a plumber to mess with backflow preventers in your area?).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 1st 2006, 12:11pm

Replace the PVB with an RPZ and you got all bases covered, no matter where you happen to be located. You lose at least another 5 psi with the RPZ.

jet121

Thursday, August 3rd 2006, 3:19am

thanks all

Rate this thread