You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

huntdog

Saturday, August 5th 2006, 1:10pm

valve problem?

Greetings All,
I have a Hardie 6100 controller, I have 4 stations. A week or so ago, I could only get one station to work. Then, they all started working again. Now, none of them work. I dug to one valve and have it exposed to examine it. With the pump running (on manual), I can hear water running and feel a vibration in this valve.There is a small handle on top of the valve that looks kind of like a screw-in dipstick(can't think of how else to describe it), and when taken out, I get a stream of water out of it. I think that would indicate the pump is working. My question is, what could be wrong and what are the odds of all valves, solenoids going out at the same time? What else can I check?
Let me know what other info you need to help.
Thanks,
Jim

Beartooth

Saturday, August 5th 2006, 7:31pm

Check for a master valve on the system. A master valve will be somewhere between the water source, i.e. pump, and the valves themselves.

huntdog

Sunday, August 6th 2006, 6:51am

Thanks for your reply.
I looked on the control panel and discovered that I have 3 stations and a master.(there is a red wire attached to the "M" screw in the panel) Are ALL selenoids threaded? The one I have exposed is round, but has a straight portion. You could set it on an incline on the straight portion and it would not roll off.It is mounted on top of the valve, with two black wires coming out of it. I would like to replace it and see if it is the problem as I understand they are not too expensive. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 6th 2006, 5:17pm

The item you removed was the 'manual bleed' screw, which on your valve, has a 'metering pin' attached to it. When (slightly) loosened, a manual bleed screw will allow water to escape from the top of the valve, and the valve will open, assuming your pump is running and pushing water. If it doesn't open manually, suspect a failed diaphragm assembly. The valve is model HR-1 and parts can still be had for it (by way of Irritrol, a division of Toro)

huntdog

Monday, August 7th 2006, 4:59am

Thanks Wet!
Do you think that I have found the master valve? It seems to be the first one from the pump. I haven't found any others yet.Does the master valve look any different from the others? Also, when I have a certain station selected on the control panel and the pump running, if I loosen the "bleed screw"(thanks), that the entire station will come on? I am learning all kinds of things here.
Thanks!
Jim

Rate this thread