You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rachel1997

Monday, October 23rd 2006, 7:12pm

Uneven spray pattern on Rainbird nozzle

I have about 10 rainbird nozzles, 5', half circle. Some are on the 1800 pop-up, and some on hunter pro spray pop-ups. On all of them the spray pattern is uneven. On some places the water comes out strong, and other places on the nozzle there is barely any water coming out. I tried everything Rainbird tech support suggested. I flushed out the pop-ups again, I took the nozzles off and cleaned them, I turned the water pressure up and down, and nothing fixed the problem. Is that just how these work?

mrfixit

Monday, October 23rd 2006, 9:26pm

Hiya Rachel, yep, you've described the RainBird 5 foot spray nozzel to a tee. I shy away from those myself. The 8 footers might work for you. I do remember seeing a 6 foot nozzel. I'm trying to remember who sells them. I think it's a company called HIT. I don't normally use any of their products because the quality isn't something I want to warrantee. But when it comes to coverage, if I find something that works well, I'll use it. I think I have some on my truck. I'll take a peek at work tomorrow and see exactly what it is. The smaller planters, if that's what you're watering, have always been a thorn in my side. They're just so dang hard to get proper coverage sometimes. People have a tendency to over plant then expect me to work miracles. It's hard to tell from here what would be best for you. I find driplines work well in small planters. But I can tell you're a doit yourselfer and you'll get it taken care of. So toss those 5 footers out. Maybe somebody else knows of something I'm not familiar with.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

rachel1997

Monday, October 23rd 2006, 10:20pm

Mr. Fixit. I am watering a 6' strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. The radius of the 5' was ok, because the heads are a few inches in. Hunter makes a 6', but it is not adjustable at it was watering about a foot or so of the sidewalk and the street. I read that to water strips of grass, it is better to use half circles than the "strip" pattern nozzles. I'll wait to see what you have. I also might try 8', and crank down the radius. Thanks.

rachel1997

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 10:54am

I checked with HIT, and they do make a 6' nozzle, but it has a "flat" spray. I ordered a few of those to test.

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 6:17pm

Hi, Rachel. I just talked with a friend of mine who's a landscape contractor. He thinks you should try the 6 foot variable arc from Rainbird. He says they wont mist like the 5 foot nozzels. Just remember you're putting a round peg in a square hole. Sometimes you can't help but getting some of the street or sidewalk wet. You pretty much have to or you'll have brown edges on your lawn. Especially if your heads are in a few inches like you stated. I wound up taking the day off so I didn't look for those nozzels. But I think they are HIT. Good luck to you!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 26th 2006, 4:49pm

Use the 8 footers as they have a bigger orifice.....clog less...spray better...

To fix the distance issue...adjust the flow control on that particular zone valve until you get the distance you desire....works every time.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

rachel1997

Thursday, October 26th 2006, 6:59pm

Thanks sprinkler guy. I'll try that.

rachel1997

Friday, October 27th 2006, 12:05pm

I have to crank down the water pressure a fair amount to not water the sidewalk and the street with the 8's (more with a rainbird 8 than a Hunter 8), but that seems better than the other 6's I have tried. The hunter 8' have a flat trajectory, and the rainbird 8' have a slight trajectory. Rainbird told me it is 10 degrees, but it seems like more.
I found a product on the internet called a "littlevalve" which is supposed to reduce the radius of spray heads, but keep the same pattern as when the head is fully open. I will get one as a sample and see how it works. I tried searching for comments about it on these forums, but could not find any. It is made by valvettesystems, and they have a video of the product in action on their site. I have no connection with them. Just passing this info on, and seeing if anyone has used it before.

Rate this thread