You are not logged in.

silvercvic

Thursday, November 2nd 2006, 10:55am

master control valve; several questions

What is the purpose of the master control valve besides it shutting down the entire sprinkler system? I've read in a book its not needed but a great insurance for conserving water. I just confused because it mentioned was an automatic valve, at first, then a gate valve later (but not the main shutoff).

Does it have a place to be wired in a controller (Hunter Pro-C)? Does open each time a zone valve is open? What happens if a zone valve opens and the main control doesn't?

i'm at the point in my installation where I have installed most of the PVC pipes underground, wired up 3 zones in a valve box (front); teed off PVC to the backyard.

I'm about to wire up the backyard (3 zones), hook up the RPZ and connect that to the front valves, I'm wondering if I need to -or- should connect 1 more valve right after the RPZ to be the main control valve?

Any suggestions?!?

Jef

Monday, May 21st 2007, 3:11pm

i would suggest using a master valve. there's no reason not to unless u wanted to have garden hose attachments away from the house

Timmer

Wednesday, July 25th 2007, 1:12pm

The purpose of the master valve is:
In the event of a stuck zone valve, the master valve prevents wasting water by shutting off main line water supply when the controller's watering cycle is complete.
I put the master valve after the meter and before the backflow, but that's just preference. I use Rainbird parts but I would think the Hunters would have a spot in the controller to wire the master valve in. The conroller wiring slot might say "master, master valve or MV".
I use them only when required by local codes. The theory behind it is good, but I find homeowners (amd myself) like having access to another outside faucet which generally has much more pressure/flow than the regular outside faucets. Check your local code as they vary.

Rate this thread