You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

elbee

Thursday, November 23rd 2006, 7:10am

Need to change control valve

Hi all,
We have Champion brass control valves. The one pictured is leaking terribly. I tried to fix it using a rebuild kit and ended up breaking it. Specifically, I broke off the brass piece under the cap that holds the white plastic plunger. So, now I need a new valve. Would you recommend buying another Champion valve since the rest of the valves are Champion? Or should I go with a better brand. If so, what are the best valves out there? I want the best quality. My other issue with getting another Champion is that all the retailers in my area on seem to have the 3/4" size and I need 1" size. I called Champion and they suggested that I get an adapter to convert the 1" PVC to 3/4" and then attach a new 3/4" valve. Is it ok to do that? All my other valves are 1" Champions, so they must have manufactured them at some point.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, November 23rd 2006, 6:45pm

I wouldn't think you would have any problem switching to a 3/4" valve.

I can't find pressure loss charts on Champion valves, but based on what I can locate on Rainbird valves, a 3/4" valve should increase your pressure losses by only about 1/2psi to 1psi. Other than pressure losses, the only reason you'd want to avoid using smaller valves is if you were going to be exceeding the flow rates for the valve. But based on the charts I've seen, you'll exceed the maximum flow for a 1" pipe before you'll exceed the flow rate for a 3/4" valve.

elbee

Friday, November 24th 2006, 5:30am

Should I even stay with Champion, or should I move to a better brand?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, November 24th 2006, 6:33am

The 3/4 valves have a fairly high pressure loss, at higher flows, compared to one inch ones, on account of their geometry. What you might be able to find, if a Champion doesn't turn up, is one of the import copies of Champion. Specifically, a Lawnlife valve, or even a Lawnlife valve body with outlet union (Lawnlife #583) into which the existing Champion operator can be threaded. It does look like the old brass anti-siphon body can be unthreaded from the supply pipe, and a new one threaded on.

Another possibility would be to replace all the valves at one time with new ones, and choose a reliable brand like Rainbird or Irritrol. New valves won't have the same pipe spacing, so there will be extra work to fit them in.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, November 27th 2006, 5:00am

Wet Boots,

Why do you say "3/4 valves have a fairly high pressure loss, at higher flows, compared to one inch ones..."?

I checked out 3/4 vs 1" valves on Rainbirds web site and found that the difference between theirs was about 1psi. Is Rainbird unusual in this respect?

Here's the numbers for the Rainbird DV and ASVF valves (the only ones I could find they had in 3/4"):

DV75 (3/4)
3.8psi @ 10gpm
5.1psi @ 20gpm

DV100 (1")
2.7psi @ 10gpm
4.2psi @ 20gpm

ASVF075 (3/4 with Anti-Siphon)
5.7psi @ 10gpm
8.6psi @ 20gpm

ASVF100 (1" with Anti-Siphon)
5.4psi @ 10gpm
7.3psi @ 20gpm

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 27th 2006, 6:03am

Champion brass anti-siphon valves are a separate matter, and what this thread is about. Smaller geometry. Higher losses than plastic ones, especially for a 3/4 inch one with higher gpm. Trust me on this. I'll replace a 3/4 Champion with a 3/4 Irritrol, and sometimes gain more than 5 psi in the zone.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, November 27th 2006, 9:10am

Thanks for the clarification Wet Boots.

Just shows how you can't generalize, you've got to review the specs.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, November 27th 2006, 5:14pm

Been there done that.....never understood why, but it is the truth..not only on paper but in the field.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread