You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fairplay

Monday, January 29th 2007, 1:01pm

Imperial Valet Timer Replacement

I was wondering if the RC-1260Bi Rain Bird Controller would be a good replacement for the Imperial Valet Timer ? I have an 11 station timer and live in an area prong to lighting strikes . I was wondering if anyone still repairs the Imperial Timer ?

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 1:50am

The imperial timer can be repaired..depending on what is wrong with it. Cheaper to replace the timer, but some folks would rather keep it and will pay anything to have it fixed.

What is wrong with it.....I can estimate the cost to repair.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

fairplay

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 4:39am

The large station dial doesn't turn automatically , sometimes . I think one of the motors is bad .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 5:29am

Bad motors do happen, and you can get a replacement, or have it repaired. The Rainbird 1260Bi is a suitable replacement, and safer to fiddle with, because, unlike the Imperial Valet, the controller runs off the plug-in 24VAC transformer, and has no line voltage on the switches and motors.

This sort of controller costs several times what an entry-level solid-state controller does, so you almost need to be in a lightning-prone area to require one.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 5:32am

That is probably the index motor.....with that problem can come some other problems....my repair guy would want to go over that timer thoroughly....and of course, there is no guarantee that the hour motor (that controls time of day) will not go bad next.

If you can find the 1260Bi for less than 300 bucks...I think you will be ahead.

Gl
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

fairplay

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 7:37am

Thanks for the advice . It seems that the Rainbird series of electromechanical timers is discontinued , but they are still in the market place . I will probably go with the RC-C series ; since , they have a bigger transformer for the valve operation . The Imperial Valet Timer had a 40VA transformer , which is a monster by today's standard . The RC-Bi series would only support 14VA and my solenid requires 11.5VA . I have learned that you need a least 50% margin when you deal with most things . The RC-C will allow for 28VA . Thanks again for getting me headed down the right path .

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 9:31am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fairplay</i>
<br />Thanks for the advice . It seems that the Rainbird series of electromechanical timers is discontinued , but they are still in the market place.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Are they discontinued? http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=30 There is a problem with running old Imperial valve solenoids with standard controllers, because of their high current needs, but an enterprising soul could dig up a 40VA plugin transformer, and the really handy could cobble something together from one of the still-standard 40VA transformers used for home heating systems. Buy a pack of fuses to keep by the RC-Bi series controllers. Nothing prevents you from using a higher-current fuse, if you've obtained a larger transformer.

fairplay

Tuesday, January 30th 2007, 3:07pm

According to Rainbird's technical department they are discontinuing their electromechanical timers . They believe their outdoor all electronic timers , properly grounded , will survive in a lighting prone area and that is why they are discontinuing the electromechanical timers. I fortunately do not have Imperial valve solenoids , but your idea does have some merit . Thanks

lugequeen

Starting Member

Friday, August 14th 2009, 8:59am

Imperial valet timer

Hello everyone--I live in Phoenix and have an Imperial timer. The timer has been working fine until about 2 weeks ago, but I did not discover it till 2 days ago. All the stations work fine when I take through their paces but it skips over one station which apparently waters my fruit trees. Can this be fixed and if so how do I find a repair man in the 85013 area code? Thanks for your replies.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 17th 2009, 7:50pm

Work the phone book. You have to really like the Valet to want to maintain it, since repairmen who can fix them on-site are rare.

Rate this thread