You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

boo

Thursday, April 5th 2007, 9:52pm

PVC cutters

How the heck do you guys get a square cut with these things? Is it important to get a square cut?

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, April 6th 2007, 3:42am

Practice and yes a square cut is very important

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, April 6th 2007, 5:42am

Tom,
Can you elaborate on why a square cut is "very important"?

Now I can understand the concept that if a cut is not square, you in effect have less pipe in contact with the fitting and therefore a weaker joint. As an extream example, if a pipe should sit 1" deep into a fitting, and the diameter of the pipe is 1", and your cut is at a 30 degree angle from being square, that means one edge of the pipe goes in the fitting the full 1", but the other side only goes in 1/2". The end result would be only 2.25" sqare inches of surface area joining the pipe and fitting where there should be 3" square inches, and you have a section of the joint that is only 1/2" long rather than the designed 1".

But even with practice, I would say that my average cut on a 1" Sch 40 PVC is 1/10" to 1/16" out of square (i.e. the average fitting should cover 1" of pipe, and my typical cut had 1" of pipe on one side and 9/10 to 15/16" of an inch on the other. That means that what should have been a full 1" joint propably equates to the pipe only being inserted 95% of the way into the fitting. You don't think that that is good enough?

Tom

Supreme Member

Friday, April 6th 2007, 10:14am

I would call that good enough

Rate this thread