You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Squidward

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 9:44am

pressure tank questions

I have one or two problems--I hope it is just one.

Lately, the garden hose sprinkler will reduce to a dribble after about half an hour. The pressure tank is still cycling; it builds up to 70 pounds on the gauge, and appears to be sending, but the sprinkler starts just dribbling; if I shut the spigot and then open it again after an hour, the sprinkler will work again, for a while.

Also there is a black steel part on my pressure tank that spits and sputters while the garden hose or sprinkler is on. This did not just begin; it has been doing this for a couple of years, long before the sprinkler developed this new problem. The line to the pressure gauge does not come out of this part. There is no other regulator or relief valve that I can detect.

Can someone tell me if I replacing the black part should fix both problems? And how to replace this part. This is an old steel tank system, probably 20 years old, with no Schrader valve that I can see. Should I be adding or removing air to the pressure tank, and if so how?

Thanks, Gary

Squidward

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 10:05am

CORRECTION:

I guess the black part is actually plastic. It is hexagon-shaped with a small white plug in it that has a slot apparently designed for adjusting with a standard screwdriver.

Gary

Squidward

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 10:21am

Link to photos of my pressure tank:

http://gspics.photosite.com/Album4/tank_part_2.html

Squidward

Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 3:00pm

OK, I have learned that this is an AVC or air volume control. Apparently it has an adjustable float inside the tank. I assume it is bad, because of the sputtering, but maybe that is just an adjustment issue. I find these AVCs online only a couple of places. Now I am wondering if I have to buy a whole new tank. Advice anyone??

Thanks, Gary

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 4:36am

somthing isnt right here. If your getting 70 psi then your getting 70 psi. It shoukldnt matter if it has been 30 min or not.

This is pump system correct?
Thanks,

Pete

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 4:36am

somthing isnt right here. If your getting 70 psi then your getting 70 psi. It shoukldnt matter if it has been 30 min or not.

This is pump system correct?
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread