You are not logged in.

TimCA

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 8:38am

Help with valves in system....and hills

Good afternoon,

I live on 2 acres, the lot is about 600 x 300. The height from front to back (elevation change) is about 100 ft. When I bought the house the irrigation system was in. Most of the valves ate at the house , about half way up the hill. Most of the rotors and drip are above the house. I just read that the Antisiphon valves that are installed “must be installed” 6” higher than the highest sprinkler. This is not the case….. The highest sprinkler is about 20 ft above the valve. What should I do????

Thanks
Tim

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 10th 2007, 12:56am

Hard to tell without seeing the site in person. If you are lucky enough to have lots of pressure, then another backflow preventer can easily be cut into the supply. Where you live figures into your choices. The one device to fit any situation is the RPZ, and you lose at least 10 to 15 psi when it's installed.

TimCA

Saturday, August 11th 2007, 9:01am

I am on a well so the presure is between 30 and 50 as it cycles on and off. I am running roters (Orbit and hunter). I would guess that 10 to 15 lbs of friction losss that is not an option..... howmuch back presute and a 3/4 valve with back flow handle?
TimCA

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 11th 2007, 11:37am

Plan B is to replumb the uphill stuff so the antisyphon valves are at the top of the property, or wherever they can have the needed elevation difference. Lots more work, but no RPZ losses.

aquatechirrigation

Monday, September 24th 2007, 1:04pm

Be careful with this elevation change. By the time you get to the top of the hundred feet you will lose 44psi. The formula is .44psi/Ft of elevation change. We have incountered this problem before and you either install the rpz, 2 backflows or a non dumping backflow(not code in new england!).

Rate this thread