You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fetroww

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 10:51am

control value will not turn off ...

Recently installed a new Irritrol control(205)value, station comes on as normal, but when the controller moves to the next station the value stays on and the only way to shut off the water is to turn off the main control value that controls the sprinkler system. I was told the problem may be dirt inside the value, so I removed the lid and cleaned replaced the diaphram and lid, unfortunately I still have the same problem water will not shut off unless water is turned off at the main value that controls the sprinker system. Appreciate all input...Thanks

mrfixit

Sunday, October 14th 2007, 7:21pm

I can think of a couple of things. It's possible you installed the valve backwards. Even the best have done that. Now with the flow control, you don't want that all the way open. Sometimes if it's all the way open the valve wont shut off. What I do when I install a valve is, with the valve on, I turn the flow control down until I can hear it restricting the flow of water then I back it off about a half to a full turn depending.
Also with the solenoid on that valve, there is a white plastic retainer holding the plunger in place. I've seen on a few occasions that plastic piece keep the plunger from closing. I always take that white thing out and throw it away. It doesn't do a thing and isn't needed. Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

fetroww

Monday, October 15th 2007, 1:31am

In regards to the first suggestion I was careful not to install backwards..so now the next suggestion Flow control; I assume to turn off the water turn the flow control value clockwise to shut off the water, then counter clockwise to open up? The issue with the solenoid I'm somewhat confused...when I take off the lid, should I see the white plastic retainer? appreciate your suggestions...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 15th 2007, 6:25am

Is this a threaded valve? Or slip (glued) connection?

fetroww

Monday, October 15th 2007, 9:06am

SLIP GLUED CONNECTION...I DOUBLE CHECK THE DIRECTION OF THE ARROWS INDICATING HOW THE VALUE SHOULD BE INSTALLED, IT IS CORRECT.. I TRIED TURNING THE FLOW CONTROL VALUE BOTH CLOCKWISE AND COUNTER CLOCKWISE UNTIL IT WON'T TURN ANYMORE AND THE WATER STILL RUNS, I ASSUME THIS INDICATES I HAVE A BAD DIAPHRAM?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 15th 2007, 11:06am

Sometimes the gluing will block the water passage near the solenoid. You can probe it with the cover removed. (a marking-flag wire works well for this)

And just for grins, go ahead and gently pry out the white keeper ring around the solenoid plunger, and replace the solenoid. This is really for new solenoids on old valves, but keep it in mind as one thing to try. A new valve should not have a defective diaphragm. (but you never know)

mrfixit

Monday, October 15th 2007, 11:07am

If you turned the flow control all the way clockwise and you didn't see a decrease in the flow of water I'm wondering if you've changed the right valve. I doubt you have a bad diaphragm on a brand new valve but it is possible. Perhaps there isn't a spring inside the valve. Possibly the timer isn't turning off when it says it is. Try disconnecting the wire from the controller. The plastic retainer thing I mentioned is connected to the solenoid. Take the solenoid off. It's right there on the bottom. Just pull it off and throw it away. All it does is hold the plunger in place so you don't drop it in the mud and lose it. But once again if you turned the flow control all the way clockwise and it didn't go off I'm thinking it's not the right valve.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

fetroww

Monday, October 15th 2007, 11:54am

[:)]I'd like to thank everyone who provided suggestions, I went through all the suggestions and I think I've resolved the problem.
This time around, I went back through and took off the lid and removed the solenoid and made sure for a second time everything was absolutely free dirt and debris. I then turned the flow control value clockwise all the way and then turned on the water at the main shut off value and waited to see if any water would come out, nothing. Then I open the flow control value until water appeared, from there I let the controller cycle through to the next station and the water shut off. Since this specific station is running a Drip system I think I had the flow control to far open not allowing the diaphram to close...Everything is up and running, thanks again for everyone's input...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 12:04am

When it comes to drip, all valves are not equal. You'd definitely want to throttle down that valve to obtain reliable operation.

Rate this thread