You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rob

Sunday, April 27th 2003, 9:16am

Bad Valve - how to tell?

The last couple years I have gone with my sprinkler companies annual plan which includes spring time turn on / check up and end of year winterization. This year I decided to wing it. When turning on my system this year everything seemed to work ok except that zone 7 (7 zone system) runs continuously. I have manually turned the valve to the "off" position but it still runs (it appears that when they winterized the system they left this valve and only this valve open). Is there a way to test this valve to see if it is bad? BTW it is a Irritrol 2400T.

I have manually opened and closed each of the valves successfully, except of course valve 7. I turned the control panel to "Rain Off" to no avail - zone 7 still runs. I have run a program for all zones successfully, although of course zone 7 runs while the other zones work properly. It *appears* to be mechanical vs. an electrical problem.

I am not against replacing the valve (might actually learn some things about sprinklers here) but want to know before hand that that is my problem. BTW, is the valve and selonoid one piece or are they separate?

Any hints on diagnosing the problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

RVLI

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2003, 4:51pm

You might have some debris in the valve. Unscrew off the diaphram and clean out any dirt or debris that is inside. Screw the diaphram back on, test it. If that doesn't work, you might want to either replace the solenoid, or replace the valve completely. I figure that after cleaning the diaphram and replacing the soleniod, I replace the complete valve.

rob

Monday, April 28th 2003, 10:07am

Does the diaphragm just screw off by hand, or do you need any tools?

rob

Monday, April 28th 2003, 11:40am

I unscrewed, cleaned and reassembled. The problem still persists. I also noted this situation (I assume this was like this before). It is the zone 7 valve that runs continuously in the "off" position. If I turn this valuve "on" then zone 6 begins to run continuously even though the zone 6 valve is "off".

All valves "off" - zone 7 runs continuously
Valves 1-6 "off", zone 7 "on" - zones 6 & 7 run continuously

Any idea why this happens?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Monday, April 28th 2003, 3:53pm

What kind of controller do you have?

rob

Monday, April 28th 2003, 4:36pm

Irritrol Total Control 9 station. I disconnected the power and had the same behavior as before.

rob

Tuesday, April 29th 2003, 11:33am

Ok now I switched valve 6 & 7 and when I turn the water supply on zone 6 runs continuously while zone 7 stays off. Looks more and more like a bad valve / solenoid from the original zone 7. Agree? Thanks.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 29th 2003, 12:31pm

I would just replace the valve. Go to either Sprinkler Warehouse's online store and order the replacement before it gets too dry.

Thanks again!

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 18th 2003, 12:01pm

What kind of valve is it?

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

rob