You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bajan01

Unregistered

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 5:48pm

Flowtec Pump Not Pumping Water

A few years ago I installed a 1.5hp Flowtec pump to replace the original pump. It worked fine up until this week. I sounds like it is working fine but if I crack the faucet on it I get no pressure and if I open the plug on the top I get a little water spouting out but not that much. I primed it with the hose and ran it again but no water out of the sprinklers. It sounds to me that it is either the pump going, a blocked check valve or no water in the well. I have 2 ideas to check things. 1...cut the inlet pipe and place it in a tub of water then run the pump or 2...plumb a hose fitting into the inlet side and run the pump. I am not sure if I will get enough supply through the hose to run the pump though or if this will still allow air to enter the system through the check valve and still cause problems. Any ideas would be helpful. I am the type of guy to just replace the whole thing and not worry but in this case if the well is potentially empty or the check valve blocked perhaps some troubleshooting would be wise. Is is fairly dry here in Florida but it has been much dryer in past years and I have never had this problem. I would also like to ask about any filtration systems that would remove the iron from the water to reduce staining or any tips on hooking the system up to the city water supply.

Thanks,
Jeremy.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 6:24am

How deep is the water level in the well? Too deep is too bad. A very useful tool for diagnosing pump problems is a vacuum gauge, which is connected to the suction side of the pump, so you can see haw hard it's working to lift water to the pump.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 8:43pm

I had a similar issue last month. I installed a pump years ago in a man made lake and pumped from it to irrigate the common areas of a subdivision. The Landscaper called me and said there was no water coming out of the sprinkler heads (It must be the Pump). Of course, there were new flowers planted, and it was an emergency. After looking at the problem closer, What do you check? Is the Mainline in tact? I would turn on a valve on the system and if you know where the mainline runs, look for water where it should not be. This is just what happened to me, it may not solve your problem. Before the pump, It is an easier solution to repair mainline if that is the problem. If you don't know where the mainline runs, it would be helpful to learn that.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 8:48pm

Before you switch to city water supply,
If the irrigation system was designed with the pump providing the pressure, you may not have enough water pressure from the city to simply switch over. Trouble shooting this is the way to go. Look before you leap in irrigation to save a lot of money and effort and pain. I only know because that is how you learn, (I mean how I learned a lot)!!

Thanks
Dan

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: