You are not logged in.

Jack N

Sunday, May 18th 2008, 8:22pm

Clueless

[attach]4[/attach]

What is this device called, what is it's function, and how do I test it to see if it's working correctly ? I went to turn on my system today for the new season and this item was hemoraging severly out the top. After the 3rd try of turning the water on and off, it stopped hemoraging.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, May 19th 2008, 7:30am

Looks like your backflow preventer... specifically, a PVB (Pressure Vaccum Breaker).

It's a device that must be located 6" - 12" higher than the highest sprikler head. It's purpose is to insure that water from the irrigation pipes can not backflow into the house water.

Here's a site with more information: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/sprinkler08.htm

Jack N

Monday, May 19th 2008, 7:38pm

Thanks for the info and the link. Lots of info there. I checked and you are correct, I have a PVB.

I live in Minnesota and I’ve never heard of anyone pulling their backflow preventer out of the system for the winter. Is this something that really needs to be done ? I didn’t pull mine out last fall so should I have someone come out and make sure that it’s functioning correctly ?

all wet

Tuesday, May 20th 2008, 6:57am

RE: Clueless

[attach]4[/attach]

What is this device called, what is it's function, and how do I test it to see if it's working correctly ? I went to turn on my system today for the new season and this item was hemoraging severly out the top. After the 3rd try of turning the water on and off, it stopped hemoraging.
It is a PVB and it keeps the non potable water (Sprinkler water) from contaminating the potable (drinking water) water. When you first turn on the water to the PVB, it is normal for some water to vent to the atmosphere until it has enough pressure to seat the device. It's doing what it is designed to do. If you are unsure of it's operation, you can have the device tested to make sure it is functioning properly. You might call a local irrigation supplier to find a certfied tester.