You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

donebooker

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 20th 2008, 8:06am

Connecting a drip line to a sprinkler head

I need to add to drip lines to an exsisting sprinkler head. I can not replace the head It still needs to operate. How do I do this?

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 20th 2008, 12:19pm

Drip fitting.

Sometimes the home owner asks me to get water to a potted plant. I use something similar to this it's just made by a different company.

http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Manifolds%20and%20Adapters/03/07/16/921/
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 20th 2008, 12:20pm

RE: Connecting a drip line to a sprinkler head

I need to add to drip lines to an exsisting sprinkler head. I can not replace the head It still needs to operate. How do I do this?

So you want to do something like water the lawn with a sprinkler AND water something like a flower-bed with drip irrigation on the same circuit? That is generally considered a bad idea for two reasons: Usually drip irrigation needs to be scheduled different than lawn sprinklers (such as needing to run the drip system twice as often as the lawn), and its difficult (though not immpossible) to match precipitation rates (you usually wind-up either watering the lawn too much or the flower-bed too little). Sprinkler flow rates are measured in Gallons Per MINUTE, while drip systems are measured in Gallons Per Hour.

But if you MUST combine the two, you basically will need to Tee into the existing line running to the sprinkler head and run a line to where you need the drip irrigation. Then to make the below ground to above ground transistion, you can use something like this ( http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1800-RETRO-Retrofit-Kit-p/1800-retro.htm ) to get the pressure regulation and filtering the drip system needs.

jimmyburg1

Wednesday, May 28th 2008, 7:20am

RE: RE: Connecting a drip line to a sprinkler head

So you want to do something like water the lawn with a sprinkler AND water something like a flower-bed with drip irrigation on the same circuit? That is generally considered a bad idea for two reasons: Usually drip irrigation needs to be scheduled different than lawn sprinklers (such as needing to run the drip system twice as often as the lawn), and its difficult (though not immpossible) to match precipitation rates (you usually wind-up either watering the lawn too much or the flower-bed too little). Sprinkler flow rates are measured in Gallons Per MINUTE, while drip systems are measured in Gallons Per Hour.

But if you MUST combine the two, you basically will need to Tee into the existing line running to the sprinkler head and run a line to where you need the drip irrigation. Then to make the below ground to above ground transistion, you can use something like this ( http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1800-RETRO-Retrofit-Kit-p/1800-retro.htm ) to get the pressure regulation and filtering the drip system needs.
its not really good to mix your sprays with drip or anything. drip is one gallon per hour and spray is one gallon per minute. if you mixed the two, the drip zone will not water properly.

Rate this thread