You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fatnfur

Starting Member

Monday, June 9th 2008, 7:12am

normally open irrigation valve

Hi all,

I need to set up 2 valves that would be constantly open and close when activated by the controller. Do I need a special valve? How can I make this work?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2008, 7:25am

Electric lawn sprinkler valves are all normally-closed. What is your application, for which you desire normally-open valves?

all wet

Monday, June 9th 2008, 2:51pm

RE: normally open irrigation valve

Hi all,

I need to set up 2 valves that would be constantly open and close when activated by the controller. Do I need a special valve? How can I make this work?
Find an irrigation supplier in your area and ask them for a normally open valve in the size you need. They may have to order one, but they should be able to get one for you.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2008, 3:46pm

Hi all,

If you can't find a valve to do what you want, it's possible to build something that will logically work the way you want it to.

Conceptually, all you need is an AC adapter (like from an old irrigation controller) and a pair of relays with 'Normally Closed' contact points (you also need to know a little about electricity so you can make sure you get components that will work within the limits of your irrigation controller and valves).

You basically have the irrigation controller power the relays. When the controller is 'OFF', the relay contacts are closed, and the AC adapter can powers the valve turning it on. When the controller is 'ON', it opens the relay contacts and the valve loses power and closes.

Keep in mind that if you should follow this idea, irrigation valves are usually not designed with the idea that they are going to be usually 'ON' most the time. You also need to know a little bit about electricity so you can make sure you get parts that will work within the limits of the irrigation controller and irrigation valves. (As an example, if you get relays that draw too much power when activated by the controller, you could burn out the controller. If you get an AC adapter that is too high in voltage, you can burn out the solenoid in the valve.)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2008, 6:12pm

Hi all,

Another question is what is the pipe size of the proposed valves, and what's the budget? Please post the answer, as opposed to email.

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 3:24pm

There is a valve manufactured by Irritrol called the 2400 series.
(This is a 1" size valve )
If this valve is installed in reverse it will act as a normally open valve.

Have A Great Day!
Professionals that provide the solutions.

Come home to our Web Site
shop.autorain.com