You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Starting Member


Thursday, August 22nd 2019, 7:21pm

Update old system

I live in southeast Florida. My sprinkler system is about 32 years old and I want to update it. Currently I have the original timer and a K-Rain 4000 indexing valve (replaced once and is starting to leak) with 4 zones. I have well water for my sprinklers with a 1.5 hp pump. The pipe going into and out of the indexing valve is 1-1/4". I dug up the ground around and about 2 feet away from the indexing valve and the supply pipe is 1-1/4" and doesn't reduce until later on, though I am not sure where. I would like to eliminate the indexing valve and replace it with electric valves for each zone. I am considering Hunter and K-Rain valves (other recommendations are welcomed). Neither company makes a 1-1/4" valve. I can use a 1" valve and reduce the 1-1/4" pipe on the inlet and then increase the pipe to 1-1/4 on the outlet. The other choice I see is to use a 1-1/2" valve and increase the pipe on the inlet to 1-1/2" and then reduce the size back to 1-1/4" on the outlet side. Which would be the better way to go or are there other options? I realize that I will also need a new controller and pump start relay, but I thought I would focus on the valves first. Thanks.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,369

Location: Metro NYC


Friday, August 23rd 2019, 3:16am

You should first determine what the water flow is in each of your zones. Then you can make an informed decision on replacing an indexing valve with individual zone valves. The idea is to not wreck the system performance with additional pressure losses from zone valves replacing the indexing valve.

Rate this thread