You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ggratecc

Friday, January 15th 2021, 10:50am

Hunter icv leaking through

Good morning,
Recently been asked to help troubleshoot and repair some Hunter ICV valves.
problem is a 1" Hunter ICV had a constant flowthrough (could hear the flow and see yard flooding in drip irrigation).

I bought a new complete valve at Ewing Irrigation and replaced the entire top of the valve, except I reinstalled the original (old) solenoid. Turned the water back on, and it still leaks through about the same!

I didn't see any obvious damage to the valve body seat.
Any advice as what to do next? Also, will a bad solenoid cause this kind of a constant leak through?
thanks,
Greg
Hollywood Rogers - former EM1 (SS)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ggratecc" (Jan 15th 2021, 11:52am)

mrfixit

Friday, January 15th 2021, 12:29pm

I'm not a fan of the Hunter solenoid. Yes a bad solenoid can cause seepage.
Also there could be a hairline crack in the valve body or seat. Check it with a flashlight. Look and look very closely. Put your glasses on. lol
Look at the old diaphragm if you have it. See if there isn't a tiny raised line going across it where it touches the seat. About the width of a piece of paper or two, from where it was pressing on a hairline crack. Or look for pits in the diaphragm. Look at the new one as well.
If all else fails, you know what to do.

ggratecc

Friday, January 15th 2021, 8:18pm

Also there could be a hairline crack in the valve body or seat. Check it with a flashlight. Look and look very closely. Put your glasses on. lol
Look at the old diaphragm if you have it. See if there isn't a tiny raised line going across it where it touches the seat. About the width of a piece of paper or two, from where it was pressing on a hairline crack. Or look for pits in the diaphragm. Look at the new one as well.
Thanks for the reply MOD! When I can get back there I will put the new solenoid in, hopefully that's it.
The old diaphram did have cracks in the rubber part. I'll get back to you later.
Hollywood

ggratecc

Thursday, January 21st 2021, 5:04pm

solved

mrfixit,
I followed your advice...the valve body had a long hairline crack in the valve seat!
Replaced with new complete valve for $69 (it is the filter type). No leak through.
On to the next leak...
Greg
Thanks for the reply MOD! When I can get back there I will put the new solenoid in, hopefully that's it.
The old diaphram did have cracks in the rubber part. I'll get back to you later.
Hollywood

Rate this thread