You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

af4ex

Thursday, March 18th 2021, 11:24am

Pump start relay intermittent in manual mode using Orbit controller

I have a 5-zone sprinkler system with a brand-new Orbit 28566 controller, which is replacing a 10-year old Hunter XC controller with a flaky selector dial. I did not replace the pump start relay (PSR-22), which has performed very reliably over the years.

The new Orbit controller seems to work fine, but now the relay has suddenly decided to operate intermittently when I try to start a zone manually. I hear the relay click every time I start a zone, but the pump does not always start, requiring several attempts before the pump starts for the selected zone. Surprisingly, in AUTO mode the Orbit seems to work perfectly and runs through all 5 zones without a hitch (so far).

The relay always worked reliably manually with the old Hunter box, so perhaps it is a problem with the Orbit controller trying to activate the relay. But I always hear the loud 'click' from the relay box, so I know the controller is sending voltage to the PSR-22. Why does it take several tries before the pump will start in manual mode? Are Hunter relays compatible with other vendor controllers?

Rate this thread