You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 4:14pm

Educate Me Please

Can someone tell me or direct me where to find out the following information.

A diagram of a properly installed sprinkler system. What is done and how it's done after it is installed and the water is first turned onto the system. How a system behaves when it doesn't have backflow prevention in place, etc.

I'm an HOA board member and I'm trying to educate myself so that I can educate other members. In order to properly and fairly evaluate our landscapers we have to know if they know what they are talking about. Granted knowing it and doing it are two diffrent things. We need to know what we are looking at when we inspect their work. We have been too trusting of contractors and only looking to see if they are licensed with the state. Just being licensed by the state does't mean they know what they are doing. I wouldn't consider a 65 questions test detailed enough to say this person is educated equivalent to say a person holding a Masters degree, or associates, etc.

One more studpid question maybe. You get your license from the state and put up your bond for insurance. Now if you are required by the client to list the client on the insurance doesn't that mean you would have a bond for general coverage then another bond for that particlular contract with an insurance amount equal to or more than the projects contract?

?(

worachj

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 5:41pm

A great place to learn is IrrigationTutorials.com, I would start there.

http://irrigationtutorials.com/

mrfixit

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 5:42pm

Light reading.

I'm thinking you can find some answers here.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, July 28th 2008, 8:29am

...How a system behaves when it doesn't have backflow prevention in place...

That's like asking how a vehical behaves when it doesn't have seatbelts. Everything is fine until you get into an accident.

The purpose of a backflow preventor is to insure that water, possibly contaminated with soil, dirt, fertilizer, and dog poop, does not find it's way back into the drinking water supply. WITH an backflow preventer, the system will loose a little bit of pressure (3psi-15psi depending upon the type of backflow required in your area). Now lots of people will think a backflow preventor isn't needed, after all the "contaminated water" is on the far side of an automatic sprinkler valve, with the water on the other side of the valve under pressure. There's no way for that water to flow back before the valves. But that just isn't the case. Things can happen that result in backwards pressure, sometimes just momentaraly, that can litterally suck water backwards pulling that contaminated water back before the valves. The purpose of a backflow preventer is to STOP that backflow of water under those conditions. Without a backflow preventor, your irrigation system will work fine. You might get sick drinking the water in your house... but the irrigation system will work fine.

Rate this thread