You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BSparks294

Unregistered

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 7:07am

Switching from Hunter PGP to Pro-Series Spray-cannot find riser reducers

Hello,

I am converting my front yard from Hunter rotary PGP heads to the Pro-Series Spray heads. A number reasons, one of which is the overspray due to the poor layout of the system. Problem I am having is the original riser is 3/4" for the PGP sprinklers. This is an MPT swivel connection and not just an actual riser I can take out. My new heads have a 1/2'' connection, so I am looking for something to fit over the 3/4" nipple with threads and be threaded at the top with 1/2" connection for the new sprinkler to attach to. On top of this I could use a normal 1/2" riser as needed.

Seems like a simple thing to find this type of reducer, but none of my local hardware stores carry any such thing and I cannot find multiple parts to use together to accomplish the same purpose.

Thank you for your help. Since I am not a contractor I do not have access to a sprinkler supply outlet. I looked on the sprinkler website where I found this page and bought my new spray heads, but they did not have that part either.

Brad :S

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 11:59am

Since competent installers don't place PGP rotors where spray heads should go, there are no adapters like you're looking for. At the most extreme, you will be installing a female-threaded elbow or coupling, and working from there, with swing pipe and fittings.

Just how short a distance are these heads supposed to be throwing? It might be possible to make PGP's work in a confined area.

BSparks294

Unregistered

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 12:27pm

Since competent installers don't place PGP rotors where spray heads should go, there are no adapters like you're looking for. At the most extreme, you will be installing a female-threaded elbow or coupling, and working from there, with swing pipe and fittings.

Just how short a distance are these heads supposed to be throwing? It might be possible to make PGP's work in a confined area.

The distance is about 15' between the two sprinklers on both the top and bottom edges of the yard. It is a square shaped yard of about 30 feet on each side. There are three PGP's at the bottom edge-one in each corner and one in the middle of them. On the top of the yard there is the same configuration-three PGP's--one in each corner and one in the middle. There are no sprinkler midway through the yard at all. Consequently there are dry spots along the edges where the corner sprinklers cover. I imagine a better layout would have been to use spray type heads with another row of three heads going done the middle horizontally. I will probably do that and eliminate the PGP's. When I try to divert the stream of the two sprinklers in the middle on each edge to avoid overspray, then they do not reach far enough out into the yard.

Thanks for your help.

It has been extremely hot and dry here in Colorado this summer so it has been difficult to get the lawn watered effectively.

Brad

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 9th 2008, 2:31pm

If you have a 30-foot square, one could envision just leaving the corner sprinklers connected, spraying head-to head. You should have enough water to get 30-plus feet from a PGP. If not, then you won't likely do better with sprays, since they consume more water to cover the same area.